Nordstrand noise cancelling pickups - help choose please...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Art1606, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Art1606

Art1606

Oct 6, 2019
    Hey guys,
    I have an older Ibanez BTB1606 with Nordstrand big singles passive. It sounds great but the pickups make noise.
    What do you think would be the best Nordstrand noise cancelling replacement for Big Singles?
    I'd like to have the same qualities like Big Singles offer - clarity, thickness and growly sound, and more of this. Should i go with singles or humbuckers?

Also, what would be you thoughts about the preamp? Should i pair Nordstrand with Nordstrand or Aguilar OBP-3 preamp?

Aguilar Preamp and Nordstrand Pickups - good combination?

Look forward to hear from you.
    Thank you all.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

right from the Nordstrand site:

"
    JC-3b - PREWIRED - 3 band bass preamp with volume (pull passive), blend, treble (push/pull neck pickup - series down, parallel up), mids (1kHz down, pull up for 400Hz), bass (push/pull bridge pickup - series down, parallel up)

*The JC-3b preamp is specifically configured to work with the Dual Big BladeMan pickups in a manner that brings out the edgy penetrating mids and high end character so widely recognized as essential to Justin’s iconic tone. We use a 500k volume pot and the common side of the blend pot is left ungrounded. Also, we have trim pots mounted for each pickups that allow one to balance (turn down) the series output to the parallel output. With all of these tweaks, the JC 3 band preamp, when combined with the Dual Big BladeMan pickups provides a rarefied degree of versatility, delivering everything from the mid forward grindy presence of classic JC tone to a super fat, wide, and deep modern sound with loads of punch.
    "

3 Band Preamps

Get that pre-amp & some Big Rig pickups & you're good to go.

If you'd rather stay closer to the Big Single sound, choose another pre-amp & the Big-Splits.
    TBH you don't even need a pre-amp when you've got two noise-canceling pickups & a blend knob.
    I kind of wish my SR1800E had PTB (passive-treble-bass) controls like a G&L.

Art1606 likes this.
  3. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I'm a huge fan of Big Splits. They are very much like the Big Singles but are a Split coil configuration to eliminate noise. They are my favorite pickup.

Art1606 likes this.
  4. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009

Art1606 likes this.
  5. Art1606

Art1606

Oct 6, 2019
    Thanks, I watched this so many times... I cannot tell the difference. Which ones do you prefer?
    And there are Big Rigs and Zen, and more.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022