Nordstrand Nordenbocker Pickup DCR?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sgstenberg, Feb 5, 2019.

1. sgstenberg

sgstenberg

Jan 23, 2019
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    DCR isn’t the only determinant of pickup output.

Nordstrand doesn’t list the DCR on their site, but it appears to simply be a Big Single with Ric mounting ears, so maybe that helps?

Lots of other high-output choices - Ric’s own HB1 perhaps? What are your tonal goals?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. sgstenberg

sgstenberg

Jan 23, 2019
    As for tone im looking for something like Cliff's tone. He used a mudbucker i believe? But I dont see the reason to cut a hole for it when there could be modern options in a smaller size.

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

IF it is indeed a BS in a RIC-friendly housing, those are around 8 KiloOhms.
    I doubt it however, because then it would be more powerful than a stock 4003 pickup & not a very good match against the weaker bridge pickup.

The thing I'd be concerned about is if it hum-cancels as well. That requirement would mean it be reverse-wound reverse-polarity from the bridge pickup.

Wow, I'm surprised that Nordstrand calls it a hi-gain pickup.
    There is NO gain in pickups!

add:
    Ah, nevermind, right in their ad-copy -

"The classic Nordstrand Big Single is now available in Rickenbacker size, a drop-in replacement that fits without marring your bass. It even uses your stock pickup screws. Louder and more aggressive tones can now be found in your neck pickup to keep up with the gutsy stock bridge pickup. As an added bonus, with this Big Single your bass won't have 60 cycle hum when you run both pickups together."

A Big Single would sound legendary in a Rickenbacker.
    I recall picking up my current B.S.-loaded bass for the first time & thinking: "THIS is what I expected a Rickenbacker to sound like!"

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    BackToTheGroove and ctmullins like this.
  5. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Wonder if they'll ever make a replacement bridge pickup as well?

Hope so.

6. Killed_by_Death

TBH that's where I'd want a replacement pickup first, the bridge!
    especially if it's a higher output pickup with a better response & more high-end

7. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    IME, humbuckers don't give me the sound I want, I much prefer single coils (bear with me on this one! :D ).

Unfortunately, I like Ric's and RickenFakers as well, and so limited as to what replacement pickups are available, as there would appear to be very few single coil replacement pickups (both singular and sets), and especially sets that are wound so they'll avoid hum when both pickups are selected (Reverse Wound, Reverse Polarity).

Surely there's a niche in the market for someone that can produce some pickups that'll meet these requirements?

8. basmansam

basmansam Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Vermont
    A lot of guys in the ric club are recommending “Classic Amplification” replacement pick ups. You can replace both pick ups, neck and bridge specific and output you desire with out modification

9. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1. I highly recommend the Classic Amplification pickups. They won't give you tons of extra output (I feel mine are higher output than the stock pickups, but more importantly more balanced and better sounding to my ears). I actually ordered mine with a much lower wind than stock Ric Hi-Gains, but DCR IS NOT what determines output- that is more a result of magnet size and material than anything! A high DCR generally means the pickup will have a lower resonant frequency, so you will have less high-frequency available and a stronger peak in the midrange.

The Ric Humbuckers found in the 4004 bass when wired stock are definitely more low-mid forward pickups which is generally what people mean when they are thinking "ballsy" or "overwound", but can also be wired in single-coil configuration to get closer to a stock 4003 (I think they might sound even better in this mode than the current Ric Hi-Gains for my tastes).

10. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    DCR doesn't = output, it is part of the formula for determining expected frequency response (lower DCR -to a point- in an otherwise equal pickup means the resonant frequency will be higher in the treble, so the pickup has a more extended frequency response). The magnet size and material will better tell you the output. Rics use ceramic magnets, which in many cases are high-output magnets (G&Ls for instance), but the particular material they use is not as powerful as standard ceramic used in pickup magnets so their output tends to be lower in comparison.

11. Killed_by_Death

For the record, I did not state that the 8 KiloOhms was a measure of output. That measurement would be in milliVolts.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  12. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Perhaps I misunderstood because "IF it is indeed a BS in a RIC-friendly housing, those are around 8 KiloOhms.
    I doubt it however, because then it would be more powerful than a stock 4003 pickup & not a very good match against the weaker bridge pickup."
    It sounds like you are saying the 8k DCR would overpower the Hi-Gain, but perhaps you are just explaining your own experience with the Big Singles vs Ric Hi-Gains... It does seem like the OP is under this misconception about DCR though. Sorry if I misread you. FWIW, unwinding a stock Hi-Gain to a similar 7.5-8 k DCR extends the treble nicely, though the output will remain fairly low and unbalanced

13. Killed_by_Death

I based my thoughts on the output from personal experience of handling a 4003 & my own Ibanez with Big Singles.
    The 4003 pickups are just not as strong IME.

That's a misnomer & I wish Rickenbacker wasn't happy to use it so indiscriminately.

There is no gain with pickups, since they're the source.
    For Gain, you need input & output, preferably with the output being higher than the input.

14. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Also, the Nord is utilizing different design parameters than a Hi-Gain in pretty much every way (even shape of coil to a point), so comparing the numbers is pretty meaningless since all these factors effect response. From the samples I've heard, the Nord definitely seems to have a punchier response than the stock Hi-Gain

15. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Its just a title that they have given to (and perhaps even copyrighted) their pickups. Certainly we can agree that pickups with stronger magnets are one part of the recipe towards higher output from a bass, though Ric's single coils tend to have relatively moderate output at best compared to similar pickups

16. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I know this is an older thread, but I was having my 4003 neck repaired " finishing" and started reading and you tubing the Nordenbocker P/U - Well my Bass Repair guy works at Nordstrand Audio and I sell some of the items they use to make pick ups, so i said go ahead and put one in, Hey its a nice sound it has the same volume now as the bridge pick up - its a good improvement in my opinion.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021