1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand Nordy Jazz for sale in UK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Jun 14, 2007.

1. I wonder what the specs are on that one (pre-amp, etc.)?

2. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    that looks like the bass that Paul Turner had, i know that he sold a lot of gear to the bass gallery, it could be his.

Dave

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Don't know why Paul Turner would get rid of his Nordy. They look like amazing basses, #1 on my J bass list.

4. "Jamiroquai's Paul Turner came into see our vintage section of basses and amps."

"No, I am getting away from vintage basses. Do you have any Spectors?"

5. :confused:

I wonder what happened... I was really looking forward to seeing Paul play this sometime. :(

Well... it's a nice Nordy for someone in the UK then!

6. Dave,

Do you know what gear he sold? Was it any of his vintage stuff?

7. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    just a bunch of eden equipment, his prototype Sei jazz basses and some older fenders.

this was around november time though.

Dave

8. Interesting... I wonder why he's unloading.

9. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i bought his fretless Sei Proto aroud february last year and at the time his wife was 4 or 5 months pregnant, i guess that sort of thing affects the kind of luxuries you can have.

Dave

10. Yeah, I guess you're right... ;)

I wonder if he held on to his 66 Jazz?

11. Actually, little old me bought the Nordy off Paul - after a LOT of persuasion on my part (thanks Paul, I love it, but just need a slight tweak on the specs for my ideal j-style!!). Paul is playing his white '66 Jazz and Alleva-Coppollo bass most of the time right now, and the Nordy was too good an instrument to be put "on the back burner", It's meant to be played, not sitting at home as a piece of furniture.

Anyhow, the bass has a set of Dual Coils in there now (rather than the Big Singles in the pic), so is sounding super aggressive - really punchy. The active circuit is a custom made John East (of J-Retro fame) preamp setup where the bass and treble is controlled by fully independent circuits, both of which can be tuned to suit using internal switches to focus on the frequency and bandwidth you want, so the top surface of the bass is still very clean - no masses of switches or knobs.

The reason I have it on sale via The Gallery? My plan is to use the funds from any sale towards another Nordy 5 Jazz with slightly different spec to this one.

The neck is 34" scale and the low B just rings - no "flab" whatsoever. the radius of the fingerboard is 9"-14" which is more curved than the usual format of the Nordy 5 strings - just makes it feel like an old friend - plays like an absolute dream. The neck on this bass is simply the best feeling I have ever experienced - iwould ideally like the same spec regarding profile and scale length if this one sells and Carey would be gracious enough to make me another.

The finish is Ice Blue Metallic, and has a matching headstock, parchment pickguard, and the finish is nitrocellulose, so will age wonderfully.

12. Thanks for the info, Kevin!

Always helps to have info straight from the source. :)

13. Looks like this bass may be heading to a new home?

14. :smug: :hyper: :bassist:

Sometimes pictures say it best... :D

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021