1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand NP4 and NJ4SE Fender Hwy1 PJ -=with soundclips=-

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by remo, Jun 23, 2007.

1. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I recently had some Nordy NP4's and a bridge NJ4SE installed into my Fender Highway 1 Upgrade P bass... I'm running a stacked 250k/250k VOL/VOL pot and just one tone pot...

The guy who did the install for me is called James Mumford www.mumfordguitars.com.au if you look at that page there is a flickr slideshow of my bass being routed and the J installed down the bottom of his webpage. I can't recommend James enough if you need any guitar work done (and you are in or around Melbourne), he really takes the time to get everything spot on.

I got the J pickup routed into the 70's position closer to the bridge for more bite...

I've yet to rehearse with these new pickups in the bass but I though I would post up a sound clip do demo how they sound and just how versatile a PJ can be!

In this clip I have joined together 5 different settings (changing after each 4 bars (the last setting I stay on until the end)..

so they are in order

PJ tone open
    P tone open
    J tone open
    PJ tone half open
    J tone closed

recorded direct to HDD through my Demeter 201S.. closing the tone half really helps clean up the fret noise, these Nordy pickups seem quite HIFI (but still with heaps of depth) so you have to keep the playing CLEAN!! All in all I'm very happy with the bass now, the J in the bridge gives it SO MUCH MORE flexibility, I can go from deep subby P thump to snappy growly J...

As a side note, these Hwy1 Upgrades are just amazing, it's the evenest playing bass I've ever owned... lovely neck.. light weight.. this baby has relieved so much of my bass gas, especially now with the J growl at my fingertips! Call me a heretic but I love it way more than the Sadowsky Metro RV5 I used to own...

please excuse the slightly wooden playing and backing midi file, I just figured this line out 5 min. Actually really like this line, just got to get the flow happening a bit better..

enjoy!

2. Remo,

that sounds GREAT! REALLY REALLY GOOD!

really nice job with the mod, too....

I just love P/J's ..... and yours is a very nice one....

Where'd you source your Nordies?

3. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    thanks mate... I got them from Brian at Best Bass Gear.. he is awesome to deal with. Actually I'm grabbing some more for a mate here so if you want to get some we should all pitch in together and save on the shipping.. PM if you wanna, no rush.

4. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    That clip sounds great. All of the variations sound really good and totally usable on a gig. I slightly prefer the PJ half open...

5. Nordstrand pickups - gotta be amongst the best pickups on the global market right now!! Just fabulous units - I love them!!

6. scarekrow

scarekrow

Jan 27, 2007
    Really nice tone, Bro. I have been a fan of the PJ config, but never really put one together, yet. Congrats on an excellent upgrade choice!

7. Very nice tone. Nordstrand PUPs are awesome

8. Hey Remo, I remember you posting that you were getting these. Glad they're working out for you - my NP4 is certainly working out for me.

Just for kicks, here's a recording of my NP4 in my '73 P. Noticeably less growl than Remo's clip (due to a lack of J pickup) and a different playing style.

1 - Open tone, fingerstyle near bridge.
    2 - Closed tone, fingerstyle near bridge.
    3 - Open tone, fingerstyle near neck.
    4 - Closed tone, fingerstyle near neck (fatness!).
    5 - Open tone, picked near bridge (just for fun :D).

NP4

PS. Sorry for stealing your bassline in my recording, it's pretty groovy! :D

9. Damn that sounds good!

10. very cool...nice comparison with Remo, jender

really shows off the NP4,
    and remo's clips also show how the N4JSE can really bump up the tone...

also, jender, you're clips illustrate how P-basses aren't "one-trick ponies" but are capable of producing a nice variety of tones by using different techniques...

I love P's and P/J's

I'll have to put clips of my yammy P/J up,using this same riff...it will show how while the Yammy sounds good (darn good, actually), the nordies do add a quite bit of punch and sparkle at the same time...my Yammy's tone is a little smoother without as much richness in harmonic content.

11. Levi@Classic

Levi@Classic

Jun 3, 2007
    Shanghai
    Nordy sounds really cool!
    Amazing upgardes, I like the PJ's and P's more.

12. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    remo's P tone sounded different than jenderfazz's...
    Nice groove...

13. different players, different strings...different recordings...all these considered...they sound quite similar actually.

14. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    WOA!
    Nice demos!
    Wonderful tone!
    Really liked the PJ half opened.

Keeps me thinking if I should upgrade the original Laces on my P Plus... :rolleyes:

15. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    just a quick update.. here is the same sample I posed in my first thread but without any backing track... enjoy!

16. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Wow, I love the tone of the P/J wide open... perfect mix of low end and growl... I need to do this mod on my next bass :D

17. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Holy Shoot! Those sound great! I prefered the PJ half closed and the J soloed closed. Awesome tone!

18. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Damn those Nordstrands sound freaking great! Nice work. I've always wondered how Carey's (and Stew!) p/u's sound next to my Sad P/J. Similar really, but very different at the same time...

19. Mandril

Mandril

May 10, 2006
    Madrid
    :eek: Wow! After hearing these clips, I'm not selling my Nordstrand PJ set! I've just bought a '77 PJ with EMGs, and I have the Nordies from a previous project that went wrong, and they never get used... I was going to sell them, but man, they sound more clear and growly than the EMGs, and I love the tone... I have to buy new pots and next week I'll have the nordies on my bass! :hyper:

20. send your EMG's to the "Send an Aussie Your Unwanted Pickups Fund" (SAYUP Fund)....pm me for an address to send your donation :p

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021