1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand NP4 and NJ4SE Fender Hwy1 PJ -=with soundclips=-

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by remo, Jun 23, 2007.

1. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    If anyone is interested, I have a set of nordstand big singles in a custom bass I made myself, I can (try to) record some bass tracks over the midi backing track... you could have an idea of how they sound...

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Go for it! You will not regret it.

I really had a great time experimenting with pickups on my last Jazz. The Nordies stood tall against all challengers for me.

-Mike

3. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    update.. I just handed the bass back to James Mumford to have an Aguilar OPB-3 installed. Not for lack of tone from the passive setup... I'm just a gear junky and this beats buying a whole new bass!!

The config with be: Aguilar OBP-3 running at 18V, vol/vol, +-mid with push pull pot for mid freq select, stacked +- treble and bass and active/passive switch.

Bass will have the jack moved to the side. I will post a whole lot of clips once I get it back so we can compare active against passive Nordy's! Looking forward to getting it back!!

4. Awesome!

My NJ4's arrived today! Only took 5 days from the US! Pretty darn fast :D Can't wait to install them. Might do a thread with some sound clips too

5. ecufunk

ecufunk

Nov 19, 2007
    maeby the best combination is nj4SV the NP4 and audere cause the flexibility...it might be very usefull in tones

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Ok the pre has been installed in record time (thanks James). And what a clean install!!! check out this:

[​IMG]

I will be taking delivery of the bass this Wednesday so new clips will follow :hyper:

7. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Oh My Goodness. What a modded P. NICE! :D

8. your guy does some very clean work. And the tone is pretty good too.

9. Nice Guy looks pretty darn sweet! That thing sounded huge in passive, wonder what active will do :O

I had my NJ4's installed as well, yet to pick the bass up though. Can't wait to hear it.

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    very cool. yeah, very clean work. be interesting to see how it sounds with the pre... looking forward to your clips

11. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Reviving this thread. I'd love to hear Renniw's tracks with the Big Singles and Remo's tracks with the preamp.

So far, I'm digging Remo's PJ track, it's got good clairity & fatness.

12. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Great thread. Great clips Remo. Unfortunately I cannot link to the NP4 only clips from Fenderfazz.

I am looking to add a J in the 70's position on a Fender MIM 50's P. And I already have an NP4 coming for the P pup. I was wondering if you felt you were missing any grind with the NJ4SE. I was originally thinking of going with the ture single coils NJ4 but after hearing the clips, I really like the NJ4SE. It has more than enough bite in the clips. Do you find in a live setting that you would want more high end from a NJ4SV or NJ4? I have a maple board on my 50's P so maybe the SE is the way to go?

What kind of strings are you using in the recording?

Interesting you mention an RV5. I have been playing mine for about 4 years and really like it. But I am looking for more basement and more bite. I am thinking a Fender P with a 70's J may be just what I am after?

Thanks,

Dave

13. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Remo dear man, where exactly did you pluck the string, I mean over which pickup and so on. I find this has tremendously big effect on the tone. (Of course if you plucked the same spot for all clips, your comparison is valuable on it's own.)

Let's say you solo the J, but pick over the P and vice versa. Would like to hear all combinations :)

14. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    So are we going to get more sound clips? i'd like to hear some with it passive played with a pick. I think this post finally helped me decide i want nordy p in my franken p. But i totally want to route a jazz pup in my franken p now and put a stack knob in it. :D

15. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    Here is my try (sorry for the sloppy playing...)

These are nordstrand big singles with passive VVT setup.

Bass was strung with labella strings and plugged in Ampeg B-100-R (flat EQ) then line out into cheapo soundblaster live soundcard. Recording software is Pro-Track Plus.

Enjoy.

Edit : looks like my attachment don't work... I'll bang my head on the desk a few times and try it again...

16. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    One more try....

Edit : I give up... send me a PM if you want to ear my recording...

17. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
  18. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Ok finally got around to doing this...

The strings are 5 month old EB Slinkys 45-105's which have lost the ZING they had in my first examples.. I might redo these clips when I decide to restring the bass... (I've got some TI flats coming in next week!! :smug: ) The bass is mixed rather loud. I can dial it back if you guys want.

All parts (pick and fingers) were played just behind the P pickup except for the J finger sample which was played over the J pickup to get a bit more burp out of it.. The EQ is the same for all (apart from the DUB example)

EQ was about a 1/8th turn boost for mid, treble and bass.

the sample goes:

1. P fingers
    2. PJ fingers
    3. J fingers
    4. P Pick
    5. PJ Pick
    6. P dub fingers (big bass boost, treble cut, slight mid boost)

here are the tracks, ENJOY!!! I will do a slap one shortly..

www.nixonaudio.com/bass/NordyOBP3.mp3
    www.nixonaudio.com/bass/NordyOBP3solo.mp3

19. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    Really nice, Remo!

Do you have a tone knob in passive mode?

Looking forward to hear the slap clips!

20. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Ordered my nordy's today for my franken p. Going to route a j like remo but im going to keep it passive. Thanks for posting all those clips, that really helped my decision. Ill be posting pics from the bass when it is all done.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021