1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand NP4 and NJ4SE Fender Hwy1 PJ -=with soundclips=-

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by remo, Jun 23, 2007.

1. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I just threw an NP4 in my 50's P and it sounds really nice. It has a ton of high end compared to the stock and as others have said nice clarity even with the tone rolled off. I may route for a 70's J and go with an SE and leave it passive too. These Nordies have a lot of high end but respond nicely to the passive tone.

2. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    remo - Thanks for posting the clips. I've been doing a lot of research on this site and elsewhere before I change out my original 61-62 (fretless) Jazz pickups. I've ordered the NJ4SE's since I'm unable to record with the originals with my preferred setting (neck pup backed off a hair - gotta go noiseless). Everyone's opinions on sound, whether good or bad, are subjective - but sound clips TELL IT ALL, and add a lot of value to this forum. I hope more posters follow your lead. Good work!

3. I think the improvement that the preamp does to the bass is truly remarkable...

it was great before, but now it has a bit of the "wow factor" going on...

very nice...

congrats, you've turned a good bass into a great bass

what did the pickups & pre cost you all up? $600-ish?

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Those last clips sound great. Cleaner than the first ones. The playing is more even and maybe a little compressed in a good way. Do you think its the strings are more worn in, the playing is cleaner, or the Aggie preamp is making it better? Same recording style?

5. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    No, I just have an active/passive switch. When it is switched to active there is no tone control. It's only there as an emergency.

The recording chain is exactly the same, bass -> Demeter VTBP201S (set flat) -> HDD . I do thing the older strings have smoothed out the sound somewhat. I will repost some new clips when I get some fresh strings on it. The preamp is great, it just gives me a fuller punchier tone.

6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    After hearing this, I might just go with that Nordy JPJ configuration... I'll wait for an official reply from Brian first, but if your PJ sounds this good, I might as well get courageous and go ahead with my own replacement. :smug:

7. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    ok kids I'm back with some more samples...

Just put a fresh set of TI JF344 Flats on my PJ... these things are awesome! Had to tweak the truss a touch tighter and my right hand is still getting used to them but the sound is fantastic. Flats feel so sexy and slinky to play, even my girlfriend though they were sexy! lol...

I was concerned they would be too dull and thuddy but there is a really nice smooth top end to them. They do flap around more than the Slinkys I had on it but this is to be expected from a low tension string like these.

They have a really solid fundamental, the business end of the neck (5th fret down A and E string) is deep, fat and round. They also really sing in the upper registers, they don't have that cut that rounds do but their tone is way more vocal for want of a better description.

Next I might try either the Sadowsky flats or the Labella FL760's (though I believe these are very similar if not the same)...

ENJOY!! :bassist:

http://nixonaudio.com/bass/PJ Flats.mp3
    http://nixonaudio.com/bass/PJ Flats Soloed.mp3

8. I like it...I think the flats will work great for a lot of material...

But, I think I like the rounds better...put on some Sadowsky blue labels (the strings that all the Sadowsky cats are raving about)...

regardless of the strings...you're bass is sweet sounding...great clarity and definition.

9. do you still have these sound clips??? i cant get the link on this thread anymore

10. PLEASE, SOMEONE REPOST THE ORIGINAL SOUND CLIPS!!!

11. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
  12. This is equivalent to the NPJ4SE set? I'm considering these for my lowly Squier P-Bass (my #1 bass)

Also: Could I have these passive with a Volume/Tone/3-way switch?

13. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Remo, do you still have the clips? The links are expired. Sorry about reopening such an old topic.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021