Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrand NP4 vs. Lindy Fralin Model P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ampegsvtca, Aug 7, 2004.

1. How do these pickups compare, also how do they sound compared to stock Fender Precision pickups?

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have the Nordstrand NP4, so I'll tell you about that.
    It has a really nice low end, with much clarity. No matter where the tone knob is, you always get a great sound. My stock P bass vintage style pickup sounded decent, but got mushy when you started to push it a bit. Just blah; no real clarity to it at all. Plus, the higher notes seemed to just disappear. They all ring true with the NP4.

I have not heard the Lindy Fralin. However, his pickups would be a huge improvement over the stock Fender. There are plenty of people here at Talkbass who have Fralins, and as far as I can see, they love them. Lindy is also a really nice person-the guy who works on my basses told me that.

You know who could tell you the sonic differences between them? Jay Lewis at www.blueberryhillbass.com Also known here as JPJ.

When I was trying to decide what I wanted, we talked in great detail about this(the Antiquity II's also) He has heard both, so he could give you an idea of how one sounds vs the other. In fact, the service from him was so great, that was also a reason I went with Carey's pickup. A few reviews here about Nordstrand pickups helped also.

I use TI jazz flats, because I wanted a vintage Pbass tone. I'm completely satisfied. I don't know what your setup is, or what sound you're after. Either way, you'll be making a good choice by replacing the stock pickup with either one of those.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it turns out. :hyper:

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Beefbass recommended the NP4 to me, and I'm very pleased with it's tone. The Nordstrand has a more defined bottom end than my stock pickup had and it sounds totally vintage. I did some research on this too, I was told the Fralin and Nordstrand were somewhat similar in tone. The Duncan Antiquity had a little more of a 'squishy' sounding bottom, but it was also highly recommended. I second Beefbass' advice to contact Jay at Blueberry Hill Bass on this subject. He's very knowledgeable and he's great to do business with.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey Art, glad you're enjoying that pickup. IMHO it makes a world of difference.

Jay Lewis turned me onto the Nordstrand. I'm glad he did. I love it! My bass has a J pickup in the bridge position. A Nordstrand NJ4SE occupies that space. When you combine the two, it makes for a really nice range of tones IMHO.

Thank you so much for the kind words BTW. Glad I could be of help to you!

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Man, I love the NP4. I bet having that NJ4SE in the bridge position really adds some definition! I don't get to use my P-Bass live as often as I'd like, my bandmates prefer my Q-4 or my Spector, but I really love how my P-Bass sounds now. I'm pretty sure it'll be highly requested when I do some recording. The P-Bass also get plenty of use at home.

Talk with you soon, take care. -Art