1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand Pickups: Brilliant customer service!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrMinstrel, Oct 17, 2013.

1. MrMinstrel

MrMinstrel

Oct 17, 2013
    I bought a pair of Nordstrand Big Splits 5 for my Lakland 5-string last year that I installed myself, but I was disappointed with them because they were unacceptably noisy. Having three young children, I couldn't troubleshoot my install promptly and months went by.
    Finally, I decided to contact Nordstrand Pickups by email, and Adrian responded very promptly. I told him that I had isolated the problem to the pickups. Adrian took my word for it and told me to send back the pickups.
    A few days later, Adrian let me know that the pickups were diagnosed defective and he sent me a brand new pair for FREE. I installed them last night and was blown away by the beautiful tone and the SILENCE. My Lakland, equipped with the new Big Splits is now studio-ready with a tone that comes very close to my dad's all-original 1962 Fender Jazz.
    I'm a Nordstrand fan for life.

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yep, Nordstrand makes great stuff, is a great company and Adrian (nad) is an great dude. One of my favorite TBers even long before he got his current (and awesome) job with Carey.

Glad to hear your situation was resolved in a great way. Enjoy your Big Splits.

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    My experience dealing with the crew at Nordstrand has been excellent. They are my "go to" for pickup replacements or new projects.

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Aww shucks, fellers. Glad to be of help! :cool:

And Jared, one of these days we need to get some beers when I'm up north again.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Just say when and where. First three rounds are on me.

6. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    nad and beer? … high danger!!!

:p

7. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I Love my nordstrand pickups. Never had to deal with customer service but they do make a great pickup. Im looking forward to getting one of their mm 4.2's to try out.

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I really need to head up there soon, it has been too many years. One day, hopefully soon!
    You speak from experience! :D

9. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I met Jared at the Mesa Boogie get together a few months back. It was nearly two dozen TB'er and their basses. Good fun. I don't know if Nad was there, though. I don't know him.

Anyway, I LOVE my Nordstrand DC4's (Dual Coil for those who aren't sure what DC means). I have been searching for pickups and experimenting with different ones. There are A LOT of darn good pickups out there.

I have a Bartolini NTMB and a set of DC4's in my Ibanez Prestige bass. Kent at Backstage also installed dual 3 way coil taps. I totally love the tone and the sounds I can get. I think all these high end builders are choosing Nordstrand for a reason ...

10. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Nordstrand crew for life!

I'm always flipping gear so I currently don't have any Nordstrand stuff, though at one point EVERY pickup I had was a Nord. Still, they're just a really cool bunch of guys. My favorite booth to hang out at the NAMM show.

11. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Oh, and I've tried lots of great pickups, but in terms in construction, Nordstrand makes best built ones for sure. Cleanest wiring and soldering, etc. Very helpful when installing in awkward cavities.

12. Lots of Nordstrand love here. I've bought Nordstrand pickups and have been very pleased with the service I received too.

Props to small businesses!

Davo

13. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    A big shout out and Thank You Carey!
    I was at the 2014 Alleva Coppolo BASSACRE last week in LA..
    I was feeling lucky that day and bought a dozen or so tickets for the raffle that were going on throughout the day!!!!..And I WON!!!! Holy cow !

Many bass stars attended including Leland Sklar, Jerry Jermot, Chuck Rainey , on and on, as well as amplifier companies and Bass builders.
    It wasn't mandatory, but many of the folks that displayed gear at the show also Donated instruments and items for the RAFFLES in order to raise money for the cause...
    ALL proceeds went to Animal Veterinary Holistic Health foundation.

Carey Norstrand was so generous... and he donated a set of his NJ4 Jazz Bass Single Coils but also added his his real cool 3b-5a Preamp!
    We know this is top of the line gear, and does not come without expenses in manufacturing, parts and time.. So THANK YOU CAREY for being so kind and generous and helping with the animals.
    You are a really cool guy!
    I couldn't believe that I won.. I never do! Its the first time, and I was very excited.

If it weren't for the generosity and big hearts of folks like Carey, this show could not have been as big a success as it was for the animals in need and all who attended.

So thank you!!

I have a Jazz bass that I am taking out on the road for some large gigs next month and the Norstrand NJ4 pups are being installed today..
    I have an older modified 1990s Sadowsky 5 that is no longer stock, and I think the NEW 3b-5a Preamp will do that bass justice..

Photos here.. They made it back from LA safely after TSA had a peak see.

photo 2-001.JPG photo 3-001.JPG

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014