Nordstrand Pickups - fix noise...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Art1606, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Art1606

Art1606

Oct 6, 2019
    Hey guys,
    I have older 2015 Ibanez BTB1606 with Nordstrand Big Singles, Passive pickups. The pickups make noise a bit. Is this possible to fix it?
    Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all.

CheloWiiU likes this.
  2. Single coils will make noise (hum) when solo, but cancel when used together.
    You can try shielding the pickup and control cavities with copper tape; this will help reduce the noise, but not eliminate it.
    Best way is to get hum-cancelling pickups, like Big-Splits or something of the like.

iiipopes and Art1606 like this.
  3. Art1606

Art1606

Oct 6, 2019
    Thank you for your reply and advice. There are so many pickups... Hard to pick. Any advise on the preamp please? I have another thread about preamps - Nordstrand or Aguilar. No replies yet... Here's the link to that thread:
    Aguilar Preamp and Nordstrand Pickups - good combination?
    Thank you, Art.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Do this, plug in your bass & find the noisy spot (w/o your hands on the bridge or strings).
    Now put your hand on the bridge & see if the noise decreases. If so, better shielding will help.
    Otherwise, just keep the pickups balanced (one is reverse-wound reverse-polarity from the other).

Another thing you can do is stand in one spot & spin slowly around until you find the spot where the noise is the least.
    However, this won't be much help if you're playing live & the quietest position is away from the front of the stage.

Art1606 likes this.
  5. CheloWiiU

CheloWiiU

Dec 27, 2019
    Thanks for the comments.
    I have the same problem.
    I have an Ibanez Premium SR1206, it's a great bass, but the Nordstrand Big Single pickups it has make a lot of noise, specially when I play rock using an overdrive pedal.

I usually keep these pickups in the middle position, because when they're both activated, the noise goes away. I really like the sound of them, and I want to be able to use them in every position, but the noise is just too loud sometimes.

I'm thinking about changing the pickups :(

6. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    This thread demonstrates the reason I have used noise-cancelling pickups since 1981, starting with original split-coil DiMarzio Model J's, and proceeding from there to my Rickenbacker 4002 (yes, "2," not "1" or "3") with its factory split-coil pickups, EMG's, Bart's, DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, etc., and helping friends with SD Apollos, etc. With so many manufacturers making so many pickups with good definition, top end and clear mids (the reason folks play single coils), there is no reason for a player to endure hum and electrostatic noise from single-coil pickups.

rojo412 likes this.
  7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    If you are willing to put up with the noise, then that is where reasonable players may differ.

8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Have you tried my suggestions above?
    I did try the shielding test on my SR1800E & the noise didn't get better by touching the strings, so it is shielded well.
    However, even though it has single-coil noise, it's the least noisy single-coil bass I've owned!

Using a lot of Gain will naturally increase the level of noise. You can try turning down the highs.
    Big-Splits are the closest thing to the Big-Singles that are humbucking, but be warned, you will lose some dynamics & high-end.
    You'll be also losing some of what Nordstrand calls Character, & that character is what makes me love these pickups!

Don't bother looking for humbucking pickups that have as much high-end, dynamics, & character as the Big-Singles, they don't exist.
    However, if you don't go for the Big-Splits, at least look for something that is a split-coil design. A split-coil design is a compromise between a full-length humbucker & a single-coil.

Rilence likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022