Nordstrand PJ-4...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Dec 28, 2004.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I'm tossing around the idea of having Carey Norstrand build me a PJ-4. Options include bolt-on, set neck or single cut. Traditional woods, excotic woods, or a combination of the two. Primary oblective is a good P-tone.

- Do you think something like this would have a good trad p-tone when panned to the front (passive) and a good modern slap when panned to center (active)?

- What exoctic/traditional wood combination would provide best tone? Maybe an ash body with a nice top?

- Your thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I own a set of Carey's NJ4 pickups and I bought them after talking to him on the phone a couple of times. He's a great guy and most helpful. If I were going to have him build me a bass (the thought has crossed my mind) I would call him and tell him what I wanted in terms of both tone and playability and follow his advice. He, after all, will be the guy building it and he would know how to accomplish what I wanted using the building techniques he uses. Not every luthier does things the same way.
  3. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    You're right. I talked to Carey today about different strategies in making a PJ-4. But still, I want to tap into the experiences of other to get some more ideas.
  4. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder

What did you do to my NJ4 Deluxe? :D

Actually when we were in the production stages of my bass, I toyed with the idea of having a set of P's on it, but decided that I was more of a Jazz P.U. person.

I'm glad I did...but if you really prefer that P sound, I have no doubt that Carey can't do it for you. Carey can and will walk you though what he believes and knows to be the best possible combinations of woods, pickups, electronics.

I own 3 Nordstrands and have sold off the rest of my gear knowing that they can cover any sound I might be looking to get.

Having Carey build you a bass isn't the right thing to do it's the ONLY thing to do!