1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Nordstrand VJ5 Ash/Rosewood, East preamp- reduced!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Joebone, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Price:
    Strings:
    Reduced to $2000, shipped CONUS

On offer we have a Nordstrand (Nordy) VJ5; slightly used, but now better than new thanks to fabulous work by Maurilio Mina, of Nordstrand, and of his own operation, Mo's Shop…if a Nordy needs work, take it to a guy who builds them!

Lightweight ash body, rosewood board, maple neck. 34.5" scale. Weighs 8.5 pounds on my bathroom scale. Great balance on strap or sitting. The finish on the ash is classy, and the striping on the rosewood board is gorgeous.

Nordstrand Big Singles for pickups, and John East 3-way preamp with variable mids and a passive tone control.

This bass was first built as a passive instrument. The prior owner had the East preamp installed, which was a GREAT move, as it is a superb preamp…but the install was sloppy, so I took it to Mo who cleaned things up, very nicely, and did a set-up. Mo also filled a small crack along the neck pocket. Separate picture at Post #15, below.

Comes in a fibre Fender case.

I had this up for sale around the new year, but pulled the ad because I dug the sound so very much; this bass does old-school purr to new-slap sparkle, and so many places in-between…but I keep going back to a Sadowsky that just seems to fit me better, so off the Island it must go.

Asking $2100, shipped CONUS. NOOOO...REDUCED TO $2000, shipped CONUS.

No trade offers, please. IMG_3016.JPG IMG_3020.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    FunkyMcNasty likes this.
  2. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Forgot to mention; that's Bootsy's signature on back of the headstock….

3. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    I would love to own a Nordstrand bass one day.. This is a very nice simple bass!

4. shotime

shotime

Jan 29, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    What's the control layout?

5. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Control layout, from neck to bridge: Volume/Pan/Passive Tone (pull to activate passive - and this a really good circuit on the East, way better than the passive tone on the standard Pope preamps used by Fodera, IMO)/treble-bass stack (note that flat on bass control is at zero, not at center detent) with pull on treble to activate a bright switch/variable midrange stack - bottom is frequency, top is volume.

It's a great preamp.

Bump.

6. gotfunk21

gotfunk21 Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Portland, OR
    +1 for Mo's handy work (and a cool dude at that). That's some nice looking Ash on a beautiful bass. GLWTS

7. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This is back in LA?!

Oh man...I was the original owner who commissioned this beauty. I miss her!

Mo does the BEST work, period. I've had many instruments go to him.

And this bass is "stupid light" as Carey would say.

8. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles

Wow, the original owner! You commissioned a good one. And with the East preamp the passive operation, akin to your original set-up, is truly viable. In my limited experience, East, Sadowsky and Xotic are the active systems for which the passive option functions as it should.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    what did Mo do to it?

10. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Glad it's still liked! My original setup had VVT but also a master kill switch and a "producer's switch" that did nothing, a la Leland Sklar and Tommy Tedesco.

That producer's switch was always a riot at every gig and session.

Joebone likes this.
  11. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Basic set-up, and cleaned up the installation of the preamp, which had been a bit dodgy. All now is as it should be!

WHOOPS. Forgot something. Mo also used some glue to fill a small crack along the neck pocket. Will provide photo later. Can't believe I forgot about this!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  12. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Lovin' that producer's switch. I hear they are inexpensive retro-fits!

13. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Glad that crack got fixed! It was just a finish thing.

14. rigorous bass

rigorous bass Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I can't stop imagining myself playing this....I think I'm in love! Wow!! Major GAS indeed!!!

15. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Yes, indeed. I totally forgot about it when listing it now, although I'd described and photographed when I first listed this bass around the new year. Shows what happens when you list in a rush… But Mo has glued this down, and assures that it tain't no thang... IMG_3050.JPG

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I like!
    GLWTS!

17. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Easter bunny demands this hop to the top...

18. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    hoptotop

19. cyclopsbookworm

cyclopsbookworm Mutant Werewolf Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Vista, CA
    Free bump for the East preamp. Have one in my fretless streamer and the thing just owns! Best sounding preamp I've tried. Mine is paired with Barts, but I bet it would be just as awesome with Nordys. GLWTS>

20. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Yes on that East preamp. I have a build in-process, and am using the East preamp in it.