Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrand vs Benavente

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dunamis, Jul 9, 2005.

Best Custom

Poll closed Jul 16, 2005.
  1. Norstrand

42 vote(s)
    71.2%
  2. Benavente

17 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I foresee a new bass in my future and the Norstrand/Ritter poll got me started on comparing these two...

What do you think about Norstrand vs Benavente? Pro's and con's? Which do you like better and why?

Thanks!

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'd put the responses right down the line with the Nordstrand/Ritter poll. Both are top of the line instruments and neither would be a better/worse choice other than personal taste. I'd suggest you have a conversation with both of them about what you had in mind and see if the feedback and vibe you get from one appeals in any way over the other. Beyond that I'd say that the differences will all come down to personal preference and aesthetics.

I could make my own decision with the Nord/Ritter poll, but unless I was ready to lay out the $$$ there's no way I could give a preference of one over the other, so I didn't vote.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I think you'll be ok with either builder... As LajoieT said, at this point it's a matter of aesthetics.

4. Having played all three, the craftsmanship of a Nordstrand and Ritter are top shelf and in the same league...

'Nuff said.

5. +1

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I have not played a Ritter OR a Nordstrand -- and what anybody prefers is up to them, I could care less -- but it seems unlikely that either "are in a different league" than Benavente for craftsmanship/build quality. I don't own one, but have played quite a few of Chris' basses...and the Benavente single cuts tout some amazing, impeccable woodwork. I put the build quality up there with Smith and Fodera, which is the highest echelon I can think of. My 02.

7. I think it's good you have had a different experience from me. I've always liked Chris' designs and perhaps the workmanship has improved since I haven't played them for a year or so.

However, the fact remains our experiences are different. That's good information for any potential buyer to have.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I really love the Benavente SC5B & Vortex designs.

I think with the stock shop PUPs and electronics from each, the Nordstrand's have a closer to 'vintage' sound (in their un-EQ'd state) -- which is what I would prefer.

Seems like they are both very good craftsmen (at least their basses that I've seen).

Options exist to get a vintage or more modern sound from either luthier.

Sounds like it would be very close to a toss-up for me.

[How about a Skjold?]

9. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    I've never played a Nordstrand. I hear that he makes great pick ups. My
    Benavente basses have served me beautifully and the tone of the instruments are on par with Any Pro Bass developed currently. (Fodera,Smith,Ritter) are the basses I have played. It will still be a matter of taste and tone in the end. All of my basses have a different world class sound. They sound great as a foundation instrument in rock,jazz,funk and chordal bass music. Chase the sound in your head when trying to decide.I can't imagine it being a matter of craftsmanship.

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'd have to agree, as dangerous as that may be here.

11. Couldnt tell you much about either, but I do know I really dig James Hart's Benavente basses.

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Both are incredible. Both are top notch. Both are reputable craftsmen with excellent care and customer service. Its all personal preference with aesthetics.

13. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    and they are extremely talented builders. It's all about feel for me first, if it feels good in my hands, I can do something with it. I like the Benavente line a bit more than the Nordstrand, I think Chris does an amazing job coaxing beauty and playability out of the wood. I take nothing away from Carey Nordstrand as he has his **** down too. My preference is a nice Benavente Single Cut D...34" scale, walnut top...

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    thanks Page! I dig them too :bassist: