1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand vs. Dimarzio

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr. Moustache, Mar 25, 2009.

1. So I've been hunting and researching new pickups for a long time now and I've finally narrowed my decision down to two pickups.

Nordstrand NJ5F or NJ5FS - http://www.bestbassgear.com/nordstrand-pickups.htm#nordstrand5j
    and
    Dimarzio Ultra Jazz - http://www.bestbassgear.com/dimarzio-ultra-jazz-5-pickups.htm

I'm curious to know if the hum canceling design on the Nordstrands is worth the extra money, if anybody has experience with one model or both. So between these two, what exactly are the perks and downsides? Or at least any drastic differences in tone I should be aware of, because both of these pickups look very appealing at the moment.

If anybody has other recommendations I should consider, feel free to mention them, but do consider that a lot of pickups don't come in a five string model as well. I'll be sticking these on a Fender Jazz Deluxe that will soon be sporting an East J-Retro as well, in case that makes any difference in your judgement. I've been saving a long time to get some new gear, so price shouldn't be a determining factor with any pickups you may or may not recommend.

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    I guess you didn't read all the specs for the UJ, they don't fit Fender.

BTW, what kind of sound you're looking for different than the OEM fender pups?

M

3. I was actually planning on doing those measurements today....

So I guess Nordstrands are the choice whether I like it or not. Don't exactly want to go slicing up my bass unless these Dimarzios are something phenomenal.

Sound wise, I mainly want something with richer mids and a fatter low end, right now I have to rely on the amp to get the right amount of bass out of it and even then I have to drop the mids and treble a ton so I can boost the crap out of the bass. A more balanced sound that's easier to control is my main goal, I couldn't have too much bass, too put it simply. Mids are important too, but mostly I just want control over lower frequency mids which the J-Retro should cover.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Since price is not a major concern, have you considered Delanos?

Delano five-string pickups

I couldn't tell you regarding dimensions or tone profiles, but I know these things are the real deal, and have a growing reputation here on TalkBass. Worth checking out...

MM

5. How about looking at the dimension chart that's linked on that page ;)

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The differences in bass output that you'll see from jazz style pickups offered by the various manufacturers out there are going to be negligible. Any of the stuff offered by Nordstrand, Fralin, Aero, Delano, or other boutique pickup maker is going to be different subtle flavors of 'great'. It is likely that any choice you make will result in something you are happy with, provided you already are a fan of the jazz bass sound.

The J-Retro will give you quite a bit of bass on its own. In fact if you already have pickups in the instrument and your ultimate goal is more bass, I would buy the J-Retro before getting new pickups.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm sure the OP is fully capable of doing that for himself. Don't you think? :meh:

MM

8. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Mike Lull,MXR,Gruv Gear, Mono
    recently had the SAME debate with myself. truth be told - my $300 nordtrands are on the shelf and my $100 Dimarzio's are in the bass. hmmm. nothing against Nordstrand just decided that they didn't do what I wanted them to.

9. I was just referring to you saying "I couldn't tell you regarding dimensions or tone profiles", because, well, you could. Not intended as an insult or anything, so should you have understood it that way, I apologize.

10. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Same here with the neck PU on a 55-94. The Nordie was too bassy and the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz was 'just right'. Kept the Nordie MM in there though....it's BAD to the bone!