Nordstrand vs. Fralin J Pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by r379, Oct 5, 2004.

1. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I want to replace the pickups in a Jazz (Alder body/rosewood board) and I'd like to know if anybody has experience with both Nordstrand and Fralin pickups. I don't do slap, just finger-style and I'm definitely curious about vintage tone. I'm also interested in whether or not perceived output was greater than stock pups because mine don't have quite enough oomph. Oh yeah, what sort of string were you using? For that matter, what experience does anyone have with Fender Custom Shop '60's J pups vs. the Fralins and Nordstrands? I'm trying to limit myself with options so this doesn't get too confusing. Thanks.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    did you read the sticky J review thread at the top of the forum? Lots of useful reviews there
  3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Yes, I have read the reviews on that thread but Smash didn't do Fralins or the Fender Custom Shop pups.
  4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi there,
    I have Fralin and both the Nordstrand. To me Fralin and Nord NJ4 (both single coil and same "material") are very close in sound. If you have a passive bass I would agree with SMASH that the NJ fit better the vintage sound than the NJSE, but you have to deal with hum.