1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand wiring advice?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by berklee46, Dec 23, 2016.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I've got a great Sadowsky with a single Musicman configuration. It's got a Nordstrand MM4.2 now and sounds great. Unfortunately, I began to look into Carey's "Bigman" pickup and I think it would sound great in this bass. The extra aggressive midrange kick is very appealing.

The bass has 4 knobs and a mini toggle switch:
    • Volume
    • Vintage Tone Control
    • Treble
    • Bass (Push/pull for active/passive)
    • Series/Single Coil/Parallel
    What's the best way to wire the Bigman so it works as closely as possible with the Sadowsky preamp and knob configuration I have rather than having to do major surgery?

Or am I crazy for thinking of messing with it in the first place?

Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Looks to me like your current configuration would work great!

3. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    You wire it just like the pickup it has in it now. Just put the black, white, red and green wires in the same places on the switch as the MM4.2 has them located. I suggest you take a cellphone photo of the way the switch is wired now and use that as a reference when you install the new Bigman pickup. I have a Bigman installed in one of my basses. IMO it sounds very different from Nordstrand's MusicMan pick up. Definitely fatter with more punch. It's a very hot pick up when wired in series. Big bump in the low mids. Get in touch with the people at Nordstrand, they are very helpful and have extraordinary customer service.