1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand wiring help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    I'm going passive with my single MM pickup'd bass. I first had it wired just pickup straight to jack and it sounded great, but i miss having a volume control. So i'm trying to wiring it just volume (Ernie ball 250K) to jack. First i tried this http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=musicman_passive and it was just hi mids and treble, no low mids/bass at all!

I just came back from wiring it like this http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1hum_1vol but i changed the soldered off red+white to black+white to have it wired in parallel instead of series which i would get having red+white together. It sounds ok now, but the output is lower then when it was wired straight to the jack. It sounds "duller", less modern highs (which i want back!) and more aggressive mids (don't want), it sounds like when i had it wired in series a while ago.

The Nordstrand wiring schematic for parallel says:

Red + black = hot
    White + green + shield = ground.

and for series:

Black = hot
    red + white = solder and tape off
    Green + shield = ground

What have i done wrong, or is there something wrong? Is this what i get when using 250K pots? Is the wiring wrong? Should i buy a better pot like a CTS? Or one with higher K like 500K to get the highs back? :help:

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    When you got hi mids and treble, you wired the coils in parallel, out of phase, cancelling out the ows. If you wired black+white now, you wired the coils in series, out of phase.

Just follow the Nordstrand color schematic because they correspond to your actual pickup. The 250k pot isn't the issue, if it's normal on an EBMM, it should be normal with you.

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    Fixed it! Thank you Stealth!