Nordstrand wood identification question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DougP, Jul 27, 2004.

1. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    on Nordstrands site under the Models page...

The bass pictured under the NJ Deluxe heading with the 5 piece neck...

what are the woods used on this bass?

This thing is simply gorgeous. i can identify the maple and i think thats wenge. but the top and the fretboard/center neck piece are what i am mostly interested in.
  2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    My guess is Padauk for the center stripe of the neck. Very orangey in early stages but will fade to brown over time with exposure to light. Not sure if that happens with a clearcoat over it, but I know it happens to non-cleared pieces.

Can't tell if the top is the same wood on this monitor though.
  3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    the top could be a burl of amboyna, mesquite or thuya.

looks like maple/ebony/rosewood-cocobolo for the neck lams.

fretboard - cocobolo?

just guesses.

4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Amboyna burl for the top.

Padauk's orange, but I don't know if the grain lines are ever as prominent as they look in the center stripe of the neck. The stringers are almost definitely wenge. Body looks like alder.
  5. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    I guess I should put some more info on my site about the woods in the basses huh? ;)

The center of the neck is bubinga, and that piece has some nice and bubbly figure to it. Wenge and maple are the other woods.
    The fingerboard is cocobolo, and I'm sure that by now it looks much more like regular rosewood. That stuff oxidizes to a much darker color than it has when it is freshly cut.
    The top is one piece burl redwood. Rare, but not impossible to find because redwood grows so big.

6. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I love how bass players seem to be wood enthusiasts as well hehe. Not a lot of other instrument players can just see a wood and tell you what it is as much as it seems the bass players can :)
  7. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Thanks for the info Carey. is there any way to maintain those colors? or perhaps woods that have those color characteristics that wont change colors?

i thought the center stripe and the fretboard were the same wood from the pics. hmmm..

Thanks everyone
  8. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    The bubinga under the finish should remain quite bright. I have a bass here that has a similar neck configuration that is still very colorful.
    The fingerboard though is a tough one. This is usually the most used and abused surface on the bass, and not only will it oxidize, but it will get dirty and worn.
    But, for the red color you could try a bubinga fingerboard with finish on it. That should remain coloful for a long time. Cocobolo doesn't like finish, and in a high wear area like a fingerboard I would not recommend that it even be attempted to finish it.
  9. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    How about padouk with a finish...even satin?
    I love the color, but I remember that padouk bass you made with an oil finish went browner over time....would poly retain the orange hue? The color change happens with exposure to air, correct? Or does it go browner over time due to other causes?
    (going to the Dark Side by adding a 5 string Nordstrand to his arsenal...)
  10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Carey would love to stay and play a while longer, but he has to go back inside and build basses.....
    C-a-r-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-y-y !!!!
    GET BACK IN HERE !!!! :D