Nordstrands Electronics in Sadowsky Bass ??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Big String, May 20, 2007.

1. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Just curious if anyone has changed out the Sadowsky electronics to Nordy ??

I have two Sadowsky NYC basses both with the VTC and hum-canceling Sadowsky set ups.
    One is a PJ4 chambered Alder/Morado, and the JJ4 is a Ash/Brazilian.

I find both Sadowsky's to sound very good in the mix but lack some mojo otherwise. My PJ sounds more aggressive and has more midrange in general. The JJ is has an all around thicker sound but needs a bit more clarity.
    Could I just wire up a set with the exisiting electronics in my Sad ? I guess I'd have to go with the split coil type since I have those type. I don't really know to much about wiring up replacement pups.

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Well...Roger is using Carey's pickups now in his basses, so there's one person for you. ;)

3. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Well that pretty much settles that... :)

One question though.. if I'm using humcanceling Sads should I choose the same type in a Nordy?

Thanks Jay!

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Well..."yes" and "maybe" are my two answers. You will definately want to use a hum-canceling pickup in your P/J (either a NJ4SE or NJ4SV). That way, you will be able to solo each pickup OR use them in any combination without noise and 60 cycle hum issues. Having a hum-canceling precision pickup matched with a NON-hum canceling singlecoil in the bridge is problematic for a lot of people. I've shipped a ton of single bridge SEs and SVs to fellow TBers to remedy this issue.

For your other bass, whether you go with two singlecoils or two hum-canceling pickups is really based upon your own personal preference, what you're looking for tonally, your playing environment, etc.

5. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks Jay
    I do like the idea of avoiding 60 cycle hum for sure.
    I've had singles in other basses but they were passive and I was able to live with it. I've been using active basses for quite a while now, but read that hum-canceling looses some mojo and oomph that the single coils retain. Like you said preference. My playing situation is mostly clubs small to medium tight quarters with the usual sonically crummy stage areas. Seems like most of our rooms are difficult to hear in. I need to cut the mix and rely on my whole signal chain to help with cutting through or going under the horns/keyboards/drums and guitar with my rig about 2ft. at my back. I do love a beautiful sounding bass but sometimes that doesn't work in a mix. The "piano" tone/ring usually is not my preference although I like it. I require tight punch with excellent tight lows and mid lows. I can always dial in any sizzle. I don't slap much either. Mostly finger style rock/blues. whew... that was a long description.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I thought I just saw that AJ Brown's new Sadowsky had Nordstrands in it? Check the Basses forum to find his new thread, and see if I'm right.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021