Nordstrands in 55-02, then the Barts in Carvin 6'er

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm thinking of switching out the 55-02 pickups for Nordstrand Lakland 5.4 + 1 neck jazz pickup. I've heard only good things about the 'strands. Meanwhile, I want the tone from the Bartolinis out of my 55-02, to go into my Carvin 6 stringer. The spacing will fit, I measured it.

Think it's a good idea?

Other news is that I'm going to be putting Bartolini G6's into my Yamaha TRB6p on Wednesday, I'll post my opinions there.

Thanks for any feedback!
  2. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
  3. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I just put Nordstrand DC4's with an Aguilar OBP-2 amp into a stock Dean Edge fretless (cost of bass=$305; pups&amp=$355+s/h) and added TI Jazz Flats.

The instrument in stock form is warm and muddy with pronounced whaww and little adjustability in the amp. With upgrades the sound can best be described as pristine, clean and detailed.

Most noticable is the range of tone ... the neck and bridge pups provide substantially different tone, and the extreme boost / cut of treble and bass on the amp allow you to dial in a huge range of sounds. The basic Dean Edge fretless is a good sound instrument ... excellent neck and otherwise attractive design. The pup and amp upgrades add versitility and definition that really makes them an optimal addition to the instrument. I don't think you will be disappointed with your upgrade
  4. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Okie dokie. Well I'm gonna do it. Anyone else have anything else to say about it?
  5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's probably a fine idea - depending somewhat on the specific Carvin pickups you'll be replacing - or at this point maybe have already replaced. And the specific composition of your Carvin LB76...

From what I gather, Barts have a reputation for being warm & organic, but sometimes a little muddy too. Whether they generate sufficient clarity for you will depend somewhat on the particular combination of materials already in your instrument...

6. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I have a 55-02 I'm planning to put Nordstrands in. I might just use a 5.2 instead of the 5.4 since I really don't care about the coil switching. I just want it to sound more like a Stingray.

I'm going to stick the Bart pickups in the drawer in case I decide to sell the Lakland (put them back in). I'm going to stick with the Bart preamp, but an OBP-1 would be cool.