Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrands in my MIA Dlx 5!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Just tossed some Nordstrand single coils in my Fender Deluxe MIA Jazz V. The stock pickups had a Non Existent B string. Now I have a B string!
    (The Fender instrument still dosen't compare to my Sadowsky MV5, clarity wise, punch, etc) But Now I have a beater bass I can use on those beach gigs I'll be doing this summer here in sunny Florida. With the girls in bathing suits. And all tan and stuff. Bummer for me. Damn life sucks.

MSIMSBASS likes this.
  2. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    Sweet! It's cool to know that just a pickup can make that much difference on how your low B comes through.

You know, I didn't even know Nordstrand pickups existed until read about them on talkbass.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Tonenazi,
    Glad to hear those NJ5Fs worked out for you and woke up that dormant B string! ;) Enjoy! :smug:

4. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Tonight was the first gig with my new/old fender MIA Dlux 5 with the new pickups. The stock pickups must have been seriously defective or just seriously stock because swapping to Nordstrands makes my B string bark like a bad ass. (I put my sadowsky back in the gig bag after the first set)

I want to give major props to Jay at Blueberryhill bass for jumping ALL OVER my requests to get the pickups shipped directly from the manufacturer in time for the gig! ( He called Cary and worked it out to get them shipped directly, for logistical reasons, and major props to Cary Nordstrand for hustling down to the post office and getting those bad boys in the hurry up mail)

Now I wanna ask you people, whens the last time you did business with a retailer and a manufacturer on a small purchase and they responded bending over backwards to make it happen?

Thanks Jay and Cary.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The last time I did business with Jay and Carey. :)

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Thanks for the good report. I'm currently trying to decide whether to hot rod My MIA Deluxe 5 or get a new bass. If I go the hot rod route, there could be some nordies in my future.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Glad to hear that the Nordstrands worked out for you. I think we spoke on the phone about this bass, if I'm not mistaken.

I've used Nord p/u's in my basses with excellent results. have 2 basses in the works with Nord Dual Coils one with an OBP-1, the other with an OBP-3. I can't wait to hear them.

8. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Wow. Lucky you. Your beater bass is an American deluxe 5. With Nordstrands.

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

When I bought my Nordstrand P/J set last February! :hyper:

I would buy from Jay again, just for the way I got treated by him.

Oh, and it's Carey. :)

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Lmao, that's what I thought.

11. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Yeah I know it sounds a little extreme, but the beach bars here in Florida have open patios.....it gets freaking humid and hot. I just can't see bringing my 535 or Sadowsky out and have all the oxidation and rust start in on "my babies". Fenders are workhorses and if it gets dropped or kicked over off a stand because drunk semi-topless blonde spring break party babe is dancing too close and redefining the dance floor area to include my gear, all isn't lost. If my $3000 bass hit the floor I think I'd have a freaking cow.

12. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Fenders are workhorses and if it gets dropped or kicked over off a stand because drunk semi-topless blonde spring break party babe is dancing too close and redefining the dance floor area to include my gear, all isn't lost. If my $3000 bass hit the floor I think I'd have a freaking cow.[/QUOTE]

If she dropped my Nordstrands, Benaventes, or Eshenbaughs on the floor, I think I'd have THAT freaking cow! (The drunk semi-topless blonde, that is...) :D :scowl: ;)

Carey and Jay...they be guud peeple. Big thumbs up!

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Are these a direct drop in replacement on a Fender Jazz V deluxe? Is the tone similar to single coil pups? Good midrange growl on the low B?

14. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The NJ5F and NJ5FS models are replacement pickups for Fender 5-strings. The NJ5F is a single coil pickup and the NJ5FS is a split-coil jazz pickup designed to sound like a singe coil but is a hum-canceling version (no noise, 60 cycle hum, etc.).

15. Yeah - Carey is a fabulous guy to deal with. I've never had any business dealings with Jay, but I know his reputation is great judging by the positive comments form so many satisfied customers!!!!

As for the Nordstrand pickups - i have to say I am a HUGE fan of them - all the pickups I have been lucky enough to try out have been great!!

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Ok, I ordered the NJ5FS set from Jay and should get them this week. Can't wait to get them in. btw basstasters has soundclips of the 4 string versions that was nice for helping make my decision.

17. Cool....

I have a Sadowsky NYC with the VTC and hum-canceling Sadowsky set up. It's an Ash Body and Brazilian board. I am currently selling it, but wonder if a set of Carey's pickups would make me change my mind... hmmm.

Could I just wire up a set with the exisiting electronics in my Sad ? I guess I'd have to go with the split coil type since I have those type. I don't really know to much about wiring up replacement pups.

Thanks

18. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Just wanted to update everybody on my new pickups.
    First of all, Jay got the NJ5FS set to me super fast like 3 days after I ordered them. Ok, I know I'm only a couple hundred miles down the road, but still I was quite pleased with the effort.
    I have to say that these pickups are all they claim to be. My formerly dead sounding B string now has plenty of definition and growl. I don't do the Jaco harmonics thing much, but I did notice that the harmonics do seem to jump right out there with no problem, so if you are into that, you'd be happy with the NJ5FS set. They are advertised as being as close to single coils as possible while being a humbucking (splitcoil) pickup and I'd say that description is accurate.
    I'm very happy with the Nordstrands on my Jazz V Deluxe.

19. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    JPJ,

I was wondering if this would be worthwhile to change the pickups on my newly acquired Godin 4 string bass to the Nordtrand pickups as well ???? I love that little bass but I am looking to find out if really this will make a difference in tone, etc.

Let me know please. That bass is in the low end scale but plays beautifully and is made solid. This is my test bass, a do-it-all gig bass, etc.

Let me know your thoughts please. The bass has the PJ pickups configuration.