Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrom NPJ4SE vs Villex JB set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    first off, apoligies to Phil Mailloux for deleting the thread I had posted yesterday. I had asked some pretty general questions about pickups for my new bass project, and Phil was thoughtful enough to post some very interesting info on DIY pickup making along with links to sources and everything. I don't think I'm going to get into making my own since I already have MORE than enough choices. I deleted my post after going back and reading the FAQ and realizing I had missed a TON of info before posting.

Well now I've pretty well read through everything in the FAQ including links, sample downloads, etc. WOW! Great job from all who helped out with all that info.

SO... here's where I am now. I'm building my own bass with mostly maple neck and body with an ebony fretboard, so I'm expecting the bass to be naturally bright. I'll be playing blues, rock, hard rock, pop stuff and tend to like the thick deep tones, but I don't want to get lost in the mix with my band. The Villex's are known (I think) for having a full fundamental and lots of thick juicy tone. The Nordies seem to be a big favorite among the people who have reviewed them, and the clip I heard sounded great too. I'd like to have excess and raw snarl and bite that I can sort of tame with the passive tone control to suit the song. The Nordies seem to pretty well fit the bill, but I'm still very intrigued by what I've heard of the Villexes. Are the Villex pickups too polite for what I'm after?

Anyone care to share their experiences with these two pickups?
    Any other particular hum-cancelling passive pickups out there sound like exactly what I'm looking for?

Crap crap crap!! Can someone change Nordstrom to Nordstrand in the thread title? Sheesh...

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    just so I understand, you're comparing a P/J set vs a J set? NPJ4SE is a 4 string p/j set.

If you're talking instead about the 4 string NJ4SE set vs Villex, then that's more of an apples to apples comparison. The Nord's in this case have more of a natural pronounced midrange presence. The villex are by no means lacking in the mid dept when you have the passive mid control at max, but won't IME sound as agressive as the NJ4SE set.

Did you see my thread in the pickups faq with samples of both nj4se and villex J pups in a geddy less bass?

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    The man!

David, I really appreciate you posting all those clips and your reply here.

Yep, I'm looking at the Villex J's vs the Nordstrand P/J. Those two sounded very comparable to me from your clips. Much more similar than the Villex J's to the Nord J's. Still it's a little hard to compare them wtih the volume difference on the Nord 4JSE clip. If there is a Villex P/J and it's darker sounding than the J/J clip, I don't think I'd be interested anyway. I feel from hearing the clips that the Nord P/J set sounds far more agressive then the J/J, and slightly more agressive than the Villex J set. Would you agree? I sort of have the feeling that I have been hopeful for the Villex's because they appeal to the techie side of me, but that the nordies will really come through with a big angry sound that I can tame down to suit for the sweeter or gentler tunes.

4. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    But if you have a bass with J/J routing you would have to get a luthier (i would suggest that) to make room for a Precision styled pickup.

Do you know the difference between Jazz and Precision pickups?

Jazz Pickup
    Precision Pickup

I'm currently using the Nordstrand NJ5 in my Fender Jazz. They're really great sounding, lacking of nothing.

- Thomas

5. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    :eyebrow:

Fortunately, I do know the difference between P and J style pickups, even though I used soapbars in the last bass I built :D
    If you look through the FAQ and listen to the clips by davidmwilson, I think you'll agree that the Villex J sounds similar to the Nordstrand P. The more I listen to the clips, the more I feel the Nord P is a bit hollow sounding with a bit more edge, while the Villex is more full and up front. Not by a huge amount thought, and probably the difference wouldn't be noticed if the clip weren't there side by side.

No problems with the routings since I'm starting from lumber and sketches. Here's a pic of the last one I did from scratch with the Bart soapbars:

[​IMG]

I'll admit it's wierd, but it came from my imagination and plays and sounds great so I'm happy with it.

6. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    I wasn't trying to offend you. Unfortunately I didn't read your old thread, and you stating it as a "bass project" doesn't tell me that you are going to build it all from scratch. You might have been a newbie. :) Basically I thought it was just about swapping pickups, sorry. :p

I've never tried those Villex J's, but they do sound good.

- Thomas

PS. I should go to bed.

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Haha! No offense taken here. I thought the whole thing was pretty funny.

Yeah I guess I wasn't very specific about what was going on, and comparing a J set to a PJ set is sort of an unusual thing to do. I can see how someone could get the idea I was clueless. Accidententally refering to the Nordstrands as Nordstrom in the thread title sure didn't help things either! Guess that was wishful thinking on my part. It would be great to go pick some up at a big department store at the mall :hyper: .

Then again, maybe I really am clueless. :help: