1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordy FatStack to DualCoil bridge swap = coil tap wiring?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stflbn, Apr 29, 2010.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'm swapping a Nordy dual coil in place of the FatStack on my Regenerate Bass. The FatStack currently in the bridge position has a coil tap switch in place.

Questions regarding swapping this switch to tap the coil on the new Dual Coil.

Fat Stack (As wired now)
    White to Bridge Vol pot, Red to middle pole on switch, Black and Gray wires to end pole on same side of switch. Other pole on same side is empty. All poles on other side are empty.

Dual Coil
    The Dual Coil has Red, White, Black, Green and an additional silver unshielded.

Any idea how to wire the switch so the DC Nordy (ordered to be wound Parallel) is Dual Coil and the switch taps it to Single Coil?

2. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    Nordstrand DC pickups have the same wiring scheme as most Bartolini dual coil or quad coil pickups.

For parallel, the Black and Red wires should connect to the signal; Green and White (and bare) should connect to ground. I'll have to check on serial, but it should be fairly easy to use a multimeter to find out which wires connect to which coils.

Once you decide which of the two coils you want to switch out, connect that lead to a toggle switch (SPST will do) which can either switch between signal and ground.