1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordy MM 4.2 question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Apr 21, 2010.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    UPDATED: Right, ive opened up my Ray34 and the original pup has two wires, the Nordy has 5 wires.
    What do i so? Ive wired the black and red together to ground and the other three to the circuit board. It works but im not sure if its right.

My MM 4.2 just arrived so hopefully ill be putting it in my Ray34 at the weekend.

Ive not opened the bass up yet but im sure it will all be pretty simple to figure out. Ive changed pups on other basses.
    My question is Im a bit confused (it really doesn't take much) over the series/parallel option.
    Can some explain the difference in tone between the two and tell me how the original one is wired, as in series or parallel (or is it obvious?).

Im pretty happy with how the bass sounds now so dont want to change its tone too much.

Thanks

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Just use the "standard" wiring instructions from the Nordy instructions.

Gas is a beautiful thing..."My MM 4.2 just arrived"..."Im pretty happy with how the bass sounds now so dont want to change its tone too much."

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks for the reply.

I guess i should have been clearer. Im changing the pup to try and get more punch out of my G string (yeah, that one again).
    Other than that im happy with it.

As i dont know how different series and parallel sound i guess i was just asking what difference it will make to wire it the other way (as i still dont know what way it is wired).

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ive just updated my first post as im stuck.
    I did email Carey but not had a reply yet.

5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Your update sounds backwards. Per the Nordstrand instructions, red and black to hot and green, white and shield to ground.

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    After i put it in i did find the Seymour Duncan wiring diagram that has it the way you have said.
    Im tempted to change it over but its working at the moment, Not sure if it would it make a difference?
    I seem to have the same amount of volume as i did before.

Oh, i should add, the pup was second hand and i didnt get any instructions with it.
    Ive emailed Carey on wed but not had any reply, thats the only reason i posted this.
    And yes, ive spent ages searching both TB and Google.

7. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Hi Dave,
    Sorry I didn't get back to you yet by email.
    For proper parallel installation wire it like this: black and red = hot, green, white, and bare = ground.
    Seems like you've got it right from your post.
    Parallel will be the traditional MM sound. Series will be louder and thicker and muddier. I'd recommend trying series out of curiousity, but I have to imagine you'll be happier with parallel in the end.

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks Carey. I appreciate the reply (and that your a busy man).
    Im only looking for a traditional SR tone so yes, parallel is what im after.

Im still not clear what the difference will be to the way it should be done and the way i have done it. It sounds fine already but i guess i should do it the right way.