1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordy NJ4 in Sadowsky JJ4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Big String, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Just got a pair of Nordstrand NJ4 Vintage Single Coils for my Sadowsky NYC Jazz 4. My Sad is currently set up with Sadowsky hum-canceling pickups, active with VTC.

I realize going from hum-cancel to single is probably going to give me some buzz and I'm prepared for that. I'm thinking the single will give me a more natural vintage tone etc.

My question is, has anyone else put singles in their Sads and had any issues either wiring it up or problems after installation?
    I just want to make sure that I give the Tech all the info he needs. I went to the Sadowky site where they have three wiring diagrams and I chose the one I felt was most appropriate with VTC (vintage tone control - passive rolloff). I'm thinking it should be pretty straight forward. Remove the Sad pups and replace the Nordys to the same connections. Yes?

thanks

2. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    I'm not a tech-head but can't wait to hear your impression about the sound!

3. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    +1

I wish I could give you some advise but I can't. I will say if you're looking to get rid of the Sad pickups, to let me know. I'm currently going to try some Nords in my Jazz but would love to try some Sadowsky's in it also.

4. RudeMood

RudeMood Sadowsky and stuff. Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I've had singles put in my Sadowskys before without any problems. There is also very minimal to no hum since the cavity is shielded well.

5. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I've got singles in my Sad... they are very quite; but they were installed at Roger's shop.

6. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks for the responses.
    I'll let you know my impression.
    I most likely won't be selling the Sad pups.

7. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    I just got my NJ4SV's in the mail today and will be trying them out shorting in my Jazz. The wiring is the same as my single coil stock fender PUPS. There's a Hot (white), a common (black), and a ground (black that's soldered to the PUP).

I am making some pretty huge assumptions here, but I would hazard to guess that switching out the Sad PUPs will be the same.

Can't wait for your impression.

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What was the outcome? I've got Fender CS60's in my Sad and want to try Nordies.

JB

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021