1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordy Parrallel/Series/Single question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tslicebass, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Tslicebass

Tslicebass Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Hey Guys
    I have a question about this whole switchable parrallel/series/single mode pickup config. I am ordering a bass from Cliff Bordwell and I am getting nordy dual coils on it. I was just hoping somebody could explain clearly what happens to the pickup when you switch from mode to mode. I understand the output variance and the tone change but the inquisitive side of me wants to know what is actually going on in the pickups. I did a search on this but couldnt quite get the answer i was hoping for.
    Thanks
    Tim:confused:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

don't know what answer you're hoping but an appropriate response would have been more likely if you had alluded to as much.

Conceptually the simplest way that comes to mind is:

Series is like connecting two hoses to make one longer hose. In series current must flow through both coils to complete the circuit so that if a winding in one coil breaks neither coil will have output.

Parallel is like there are two hoses running side by side. In parallel current flows through each coil seperately so if the winding breaks in one coil the other will still have output.

Single coil is like there are two hoses but only one is being used. The other coil is excluded from the circuit and has no output.

3. Tslicebass

Tslicebass Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Awesome
    great analogy... that definetly answers my question. Thanks a bunch:) :) :)

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021