1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordy vs Sadowsky 5str neck widths

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceeprm, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Hi

Im really interested in getting a Nordy 5 string and was wondering how wide the necks felt on these. Ive tried a few Sadowskys and the necks are definitely too wide for my hands- how do the nordy necks compare?
    thanks
    Phil

2. The Nordy vJ5s are well-known for their comfortable and fast neck dimensions. If you have a chance to play a Nordy, you will not be disappointed. If you are looking for a chunky, more traditional style neck, I don't think the Nordy will satisfy your needs. Just my 2 cents, since I have really tiny hands, which is why I LOVE the sleek profile and radius of my Nordy neck.

Try before you buy. That's the best way to shootout both basses to see what works best for your needs. :)

3. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Phil have you tried a Sadowsky5 with the 1 3/4" nut width instead of the standard 1 7/8"?
    To me it makes a big difference. I can deal with the std width, but the narrow one is what makes me feel "at home."

4. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Is that just on the NYC models? If so then they'll be way out of my price range as I live in the UK!

5. The 'stock' Nordy neck is sleeker and smaller than the Sadowsky across almost all dimensions (i.e., back of neck profile, feel at the nut, and string spacing). The Nordy also has a complex fretboard radius which flattens significantly above the 12th fret.

If the Sadowsky neck (which I prefer myself) felt a bit 'big' to you, you should love the Nordy neck. I believe Carey now offers a standard radius option that will feel a little more 'traditional' but still be nice and sleek and small.