Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nor'easter

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    How are you New Englanders doing out there? The roads were apparently really bad this morning. We only got about 4-5 inches, but I heard it was worse up north. Either way it was a good excuse to take pictures of the pretty snow :)

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ct in the snow:

Attached Files:

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I live in Florida. There is no snow in Florida. Understantably, I'm both overjoyed and extremely depressed.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

When I was a kid, I had to get up at 4:30AM to slop the hogs, milk the cows, feed the horses and clean the stalls, feed the chickens, collect their eggs, bail a ton of hay into the upper loft of the barn, chop a cord of firewood, walk 3 miles to school through a blinding snowstorm, work at school all day, walk back home through the 3-4 feet of snow(deposited in my path by prior blinding snowstorm) do my homework, help with dinner, clear the table, wash the dishes, watch a few re-runs of CSI (on SPIKE TV) before I had time to take pictures of the snowfall.

5. Hey! It was ok going into work today, the roads weren't TOO bad, until every grandmother in Massachusetts decided to pull in front of me doing 10 mph on their way to get their cats some vittles :mad:

I'm no loose cannon on the road, I obey the signs and have good judgement, but WHY is it everyone else cannot do the same? It's like they LOSE THEIR MINDS at the sign of the first flake.

I saw 5 spinouts and crashes on the way in this morning regardless, and they WERE ALL 4x4 vehicles.

I drive an Impala. a 2wd family car, and I do better than these soccer moms in training. But, I digress.

now, with all this crappy freezing rain bunk going on, It'll take me 2 hours and 50 gallons of gas to get home (my commute is usually 35 minutes)

Honk Honk Grandma!

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    rainin buckets on the Jersey Shore.... my dang roof is leaking AGAIN :mad:

7. It's snowy here. And my dip**** super intendent didn't cancel school today. But I overslept, so who won there? ;)

Yeah, it's pretty snowy out, and I don't feel like cleaning off my car, or going to cash my paycheck.

8. I just wanna go home and spoon the wife under a mile of blankets. It's warm in my office technically, but I still feel chilly.

And I have a meeting in 5 minutes at another building in our complex a good walk into this crappy crap. Grrrr!

9. Here's my take- Last nite it was snowing- a bit slippery, but not a lot of accumulation. There was a dicktard in a Monte Carlo SS (those are still RWD? Right?) less than 5 feet off the bumper of the truck in front of him going 50 or so (I don't like it when someone's headlights are at the bottom of my rear view mirror- no way the lead driver saw headlights in his rear view mirror). He's stepping on the brake ever couple seconds, and then swings out into my lane (cuts of the guy in front of me- as evidenced by brake lights and the amount of the slow down) so I switched into the right lane. As I passed him I saw he was on his cell phone.

I don't rave about people driving while on the phone- but how absolutely stupid do you have to be to be tailgating someone in a snowstorm going 50 mph while having an animated conversation holding a cell phone up to your noggin?

Too fast is stupid, too slow is not bright- people have to avoid you. OTOH you need to drive at a speed you're safely comfortable at.

The best part about all the SUVs and such on the road is people don't comprehend that the 4wd/awd are really only helpful in forward movement. Usually during snowstorms you'll see loads of big SUVs in the ditch- they haven't figured 4WD does nothing to stop your vehicle.

I'm driving an Outback Wagon. AWD and about as much ground clearance of most large SUVs.

10. Sorry about the Rant.

The pics you guys posted look beautiful. Much more beautiful than having to see 10" piled up outside.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Looks like the south texas beaches on Christmas Day '04.

:smug:

brad cook

12. 3 inches or so here, but it's raining, so I'll try and snap off some shots before the snow is gone.

13. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    We got about 5 inches here, school's canceled for the day:)

Its starting to sleet now though, and its expected to freeze over during the night.

Vince

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    12" total, by my house. Some pretty wicked drifts on my roof.

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    That's nothing, not only did I have to sleep in a rolled up newspaper in the middle of a busy highway, I had to get up two hours before I went to sleep and clean the lake.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I got 4-5 inches here in New York, hour and some north of NYC. Then we got some sleet and freezing rain. Roads are a mess.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ah yes, what would south Texas be without snow, pine trees, and 18th century Colonial mansions?

18. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Just a few inches here. Bryan Tyler, your avatar is awesome.

19. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Ice here in PA. There were a lot of downed trees and power lines throughout the county. Some parts of town here and some towns nearby were/are completely power-less. My place is on the leeward side of a mountain, but it wasn't too bad.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    What, the headstocks? Thanks :)