Norm Stockton

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jerry J, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Last Friday night I got to go to one of Norm's clinics.

What a great guy and a fantastic bass player. The take-away value of Norm's discussions were incredible. Norm is very much into the power of locking into the pocket and hanging with a tight groove. But he can knock around on his BEAUTIFUL MTD like no tomorrow.

If you ever get a chance to see Norm, by all means make the effort. There was no charge for the clinic which was very surprising. I did buy Norm's video "Groovin' for Heaven and I did buy his new CD.
    I'm really digging his CD and his music.

Also, check out his website at
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i played his 7 string mtd at the namm show - very nice instrument. he's a pretty cool guy too.
  3. I second the recommendation on the videos. I've got both "Grooving for heaven" videos and I pick up new things every time I watch them. They cover everything from the very basics - string muting - to slap style and modes. I'd say they were ideal for a beginner / intermediate. Don't be put off if you don't play bass in church / aren't Christian. Although Norm does cover aspects of playing that are particular to church worship team members, these are at the end of the tape and in some senses "optional". The advice within the videos is very universal though.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah! If Norm ever does a clinic near any of you and you haven't been it's definitely "worth" it (you can't beat free, eh?!). I went to his last Dallas clinic and had a great time and met some TBers as well. Also got to play Norm's MTD briefly. He was a really nice guy and I wish I'd had time to go out to lunch with him and some of the clinic attendees. I need to get that CD of his too.

brad cook
  5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    It's funny but I never really liked the blue tint in his 535 until I got to see it in person. That is a very beautiful bass and he sure makes it sound incredible.
  6. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Let me throw in that Norm is an incredible Bass player, and one of the most helpful, friendly, cool guys ever.
    Everybody owes it to themselves to check him out, and I'm looking forward to Groovin' 3 & 4!
  7. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Oh, no kidding! He has no attitude but he sure can make that 535 sound like a million bucks. I especially like his "layin' in the pocket" groove.

I think that I have one of the best bass instructors out there but I sure wouldn't mind spending a few months taking lessons from Norm.
  8. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The Norm Stockton UK clinic will certainly be an event 'not to be missed'.... except that I've got a band rehearsal that night, so I'll not be there :bawl:

However, I've given the organiser my mobile number, so I hope to hear if there is any feeding happening after the event. Last time he was over a few of us hung with him in a local curry house, and I should be able to make it back in time if there's a repeat of that :)

9. woot

Nov 16, 2002
    What are your favorite songs by Norm Stockton?

I rather like "Come Before Winter."
  10. I attended his clinic in Dallas also. What a great guy and exceptional talent. His CD is definitely worth getting.

My favorite is "The 7 Pearls of Monterey". Love that fretless!

11. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Yeah! I've got the "Pondering" cd(great) and I've seen the first video. Very helpful.