1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Norma Jean Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PunkRocker33133, Sep 23, 2008.

1. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Any clue on their bass players gear or his distortion sound? Particularly in the song I Used To Hate Cell Phones, Now I Hate Car Accidents?

Edit: Or in this song

2. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    In the parts I could hear, that's the textbook tone of the Boss ODB-3 that is so "loved" 'round these here parts.

:bag:

note: Yes, I have one and yes, I use it. :p

3. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Bump

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Everything Norma Jean is, is Botch + a love for God...so search Brian Cook haha.

I just went back and listened that Norma Jean record...It sounds like a Big Muff to me with the tone at about 4:00 and the sustain around 2:30/3:00.

5. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    I know there was a bass player a while back with him in it that said what it was. I'll look for it when I'm able to.

EDIT: Hmmm didn't realise that you were talking about Memphis...it probably isn't the same setup still but I'll post it anyways.

6. AngermeansHate

AngermeansHate

Aug 7, 2008
    im pretty sure he uses a sansamp, i remember reading articles and i think thats the only effect he said he used

7. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    I'm pretty sure your right.

8. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    A BDDI? I didn't think those had that amount of distortion. Perhaps it was a guitar distortion, like the GT2?

9. If you set it up right and run a hot bass into it, you can get a LOT of drive out of a BDDI.

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    As best I recall he was using a p-bass before switching over to first act, so I doubt it would be that amount of drive out of a BDDI, at least in comparison to the amout I was able to get with my P.

11. Oh yeah, I'll be seeing them in a few weeks, so if you're still interested, I'll try to sneak a glimpse of what he's using now.

12. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Yeah, that'd be cool and thanks for all the help guys, the other day I tried a Sansamp GT-2 through the new Peavey head and an 810, and I think I'll be getting one after I get the Peavey set-up

13. AngermeansHate

AngermeansHate

Aug 7, 2008

nah, the bass driver

14. Ok, I just saw Norma Jean play with Haste The Day, My Children My Bride, Oh Sleeper and THE SHOWDOWN last night, and I got a chance to look at the bassist's board. His signal path was....

Wireless receiver -> BOSS TU-2 -> ProCo Juggernaut -> BOSS Bass Limiter/Enhancer -> Boss EQ (I couldn't tell if it was the bass or guitar version.)

All the amps were behind the cabs/lighting, so I can't say for sure what head/rackmount stuff he was using, but he was playing through a Fender 8x10, and he sounded AMAZING. Seriously, ridiculously heavy.

sonicxyouth likes this.
  15. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    A man of your word :)

I've heard mostly bad stuff from the juggernaut, but every time I hear it with my own ears, it sounds great. Interesting...

16. Yeah, I was surprised to see it too. He really got some cool sounds out of it. I thought for sure there was some sort of synth pedal on there, because some of the sounds he was getting were so fat and fuzzy, but the Juggernaut was the only drive pedal on his board, and I didn't see anything that looked like a footswitch for any rack equipment.

17. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Thanks a ton Bassman. Now for money/a new amp before anything.

18. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Was this the same tone off of "Bless the Martryr"? That is, do you think he used the Juggernaut then?

19. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Actually for the people saying that jake Schultz (the bassist for NJ) used a Sansamp. He doesnt.

I have a old Bass Guitar mag with him saying that he prefers the raw tone of miked speakers. He also likes his strings to settle over a few shows as he doesnt like zingy string sounds.

He used to play a 70's P-bass with EMG pickups, I have seen him play a Lakland JO once.
    He also used to use the SVT and 810 setup.

20. He played the P-bass (Natural ash with a maple fretboard) on a few songs, but mostly he was rocking a First Act Delgada. Like I said, I wasn't able to see the amp he was using.

J-face - It was a live show, so the sound wasn't exactly condusive to really critical analysis, but I don't think it was so much like BTMKTC. It seems to me like his older tone was more of a distortion, and live it was either "clean" (actually mildly overdriven) or really fuzzy.