1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Normal battery life for a Roscoe LG3005?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nvr2old, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Nvr2old

Nvr2old

Dec 27, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Hi All,

About four months ago I picked up a Roscoe LG3005, and it's been sonic heaven since. But I've noticed that the batteries don't seem to live for more than a few weeks, and it's not as if I play it hours a day. It seems I might get 15-25 hours of play per two-pack of the 9v batteries. I always turn both the amp off and the bass's volume to zero when not being played, though it stays plugged into the amp so I can pick it up and play for 10 minutes when I get a quick chance between practices.

Last night I noticed a slight breaking up of tone through the headphones, but it sounded fine through the speaker so I turned off the amp, and today the batteries are totally dead, as if there was a drain on them after I stopped playing. I've tried different brands and it doesn't seem to change anything.

Is this normal? Time to change pick-ups? Add a passive pickup? Unplug from the amp when not being played?

:confused:

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It doesn't matter if you turn the volume down on the bass--you are still draining the battery if you leave a cable plugged in to the bass. So, the answer is #3, "unplug from the amp when not being played"...

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Leaving the cable plugged in drains the battery on active basses, you need to unplug them. Once you do that you should be getting 3-6 months easily.

4. Nvr2old

Nvr2old

Dec 27, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Whew! Thanks!

5. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    you can keep the cable plugged to the amp but unplug it from the bass.

6. ...oh, uh...yeah, what everyone else said. ;)

If you unplug the bass when you're not playing, a set of batteries should last you at least 6 months. I am constantly playing my basses, and I get a year on average out of a set.

If there's anything we (i.e. "Roscoe Guitars") can do to help out, feel free to PM me or hit us up on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Real-Roscoe-Guitars-Page/132764710109867

7. First , yes unplug every time you're done playing. I have about ten active basses, and I just had the battery in my "new" to me 62' PB rebuild I did nearly two years ago go dead and I play it a lot and it usually goes to every gig though it may not get played on every one. My Pre is an Audere, which I think is a bit easier on battery life. And I have Kubicki, fender, Fodera, J-Retro, Furman and three different Bart pres in different basses. UNPLUG. To be safe just replace the battery every 6 mos. Also I find that even nearly dead batteries will power my tuner for months so they get double duty! Double the pleasure, double the fun it's Doublemint......sorry I'm old if you're not old enough to get it google it.