Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Normal for SWR to be on fire sale?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by millard, Dec 27, 2004.

1. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    MF seems to have most SWR gear for half or less of MSRP. The 410T cab is $399. The 1x15 is $250. That seems like an incredibly good price. I know it is MF and all that, but is anyone "in the know"? Is it common for SWR to run half-off?

Thanks...Millard

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i'm sure MF buys in bulk. Remember, those are the workingman's series of SWR cabinets, and they're not so good.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If you want SWR your best bet is to buy the top line stuff used. If you look around you can find stupid low prices on used SWR gear. I have two Golith II Jr's that I wouldn't mind selling but I'm not going to give them away.

4. I used to own the SWR WM 1x15, I thought it sounded great. It even goes a bit lower then the SOB.

I've tested a WM 4x10. It sounded ok but I think the Goliath is a much better cab.

Also, SWR may be coming out with new gear. Looks like it may be between the Pro gear and Workingman's series. I found this link with pictures. I haven't seen/heard of specs/dimensions.

SWR WorkingPro Line Series

5. I stumbled onto a brand new Goliath Sr. for $600 and a used 550-X for $425, both at Guitar Center. The deals are out there, indeed, and this is a good time of year to get them.

6. Whoa.. are these new? I didn't find any info on them at swrsound.com. Have you seen any specs or info?

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Only Pictures of the WorkingPro Amps and Cabinets.
    All I know is that they're made in Mexico.

8. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Their "WorkingPro" line looks pretty nice... I think i might have to look into some of that.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I've noticed a lot of the Workingman stuff at over half off of MSRP on Musician's Friend's site recently.

The Pro Series stuff wasn't.

If the Pro Series stuff is on sale anywhere at that discount, let me know as I want some of it. I got a new "Black Beauty" for $499.99 earlier this year at GC and I'd like to get a matching 4-Ohm extension cab for it.

10. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Funny... the condensed title showed this as saying "Normal for SWR to be on fire..." and I was going to reply with Yes, by my experiences. I have had/witnessed several that erupted in fire.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    "Bass Intensifier"??? Is that kind of like the Hartke "Transient Attack"?

I'm not into gimmicky crap on my amp. I won't be buying any of those amps.

-Mike

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh well, here's to the death of SWR. I miss the good old days of SWR Engineering.

13. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Because of the clearance prices for new SWR WM cabs, my local music shop sold me a used WM 210 today for $150. I think that qualifies as a "stupid low price".

14. From time to time, MF has unadvertised sales on all kinds of gear. You have to check every day, because they change prices/gear on sale that quickly.

Since we're talking about amps, MF has Fender Bassman 200s on sale for $349. They list for $928.55 - I've never seen them that cheap, and MF has them listed as, "Limited Quantity." That means when they're gone, they're gone for good.

Hey, if you like Fender amps, that's 200 watts through 1x15 for $349.

That's a good deal.

Good luck.

Mike

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I knew Fender was going to do that to SWR :(

16. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm not sure what everyone's getting so upset about. It simply seems as if SWR is reworking/redesigning the "Workingman's" line, which to be fair hadn't been getting spectacular word-of-mouth to begin with. If it's not selling and being talking about positively, what the harm in attempting to improve on it?

Do what, exactly? - produce a new product? And from what I've heard, Fender has been extremely hand's-off with SWR. This isn't Gibson we're talking about.

17. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    For a moment I thought the subject was:

"Is it normal for my SWR to be on fire?"
    :bag:

18. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Hey Gibson is extremely hands off with all the brands they bought out. So much so that right after buying them they took their hands off and walked away, leaving them to flounder away to oblivion. :smug:

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm with you. People love to blame Fender when they buy a company. No one forced SWR to sell to Fender, and where, exactly, is the harm in Fender releasing new product? :confused:

The alternative? SWR not existing.