normal precision sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Is it normal for the precision to get lost and not stand out so much as you go lower in the regester? Lost at the bottom so to say.
    I just think my bass sound so great from A up but from A on the fifth fret to low E on the open E, it gets muddy and a bit lost. I do have flats on it.
  2. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    I have the same problem and i have no idea if its meant to happen. My strings are just stock fender's that came on my crappy squier
  3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I'd try new or different strings. I never had that problem with p-basses (ok, I don't currently own one but still...). Even the cheapo squire's sounded pretty good for the money.
  4. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    If I'm telling you things you already know-please excuse me-but here is my 2 cents:
    Flats will be very different from rounds. They will be more muted and "thumpy" as you go lower in the register. Highs will not be as prominent. If you have never tried rounds on your bass, I would switch just to do the A/B test. You might find that it's the strings not the bass.

If not rounds vs flats, these are the things I would diagnose:

First of all, are you reacting to the sound of the bass live or recorded or both?
    If one or the other, I would suspect the preamp settings. You might want to set everything "flat", then only boost treble and mids to desired tone. This, I would do with the Pbass volume and tone all the way up.
    If your issue is happening regardless of live or recorded, I would focus on the bass and do the following:
    Check the pickup hieght under the E string. If too low, you will have a loss of gain relative to the other strings.
    If the strings are old, clean with alcohol-strings get dirty over time and can degrade responsiveness.
    Listen to other recordings of a Pbass with flats-everything might be fine-it just might not be for you.
  5. Thanks Franklyn, I've been considering going back to the original strings which were Fender strings. Ill try that. Any other recomendations for strings?
  6. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    For rounds, I use Ernie Ball, flats D'Addario.
    I tend to use the heavier gauge strings.