Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Normal Price for 100's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alx564, Nov 19, 2000.

1. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Everyone,
    I was just wondering what the normall price for a 100W. I am looking into a new amp and wondering what price range I should be expecting. I know that the prices are going to vary greatly from makers, dealers, etc. so just give me a ballpark number. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I sure hope this post doesn't mean you're buying a 100-watt amp.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Munj has made it clear elsewhere that he thinks 100 watts is not enough for a stage amp. Others may disagree, you could probably find the thread if you looked, and make up your own mind on that issue.

However, on the subject of price, Carvin sells a 100 W single 10" bass amp for $279. Ampeg has an all-tube 100 W head for a street price of about $699. So there is a wide range. However, you can find Ampeg, Hartke, SWR and other combos in the $350 - $450 range (new) if that helps.

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Y'know, this 300-watt minimum thing is just my humble opinion. I'm sure there are tons of folks out there who think 600 is more like it. I've been able to get by with 300 watts, but I still covet the WT-800.

Do this. Go to your favorite guitar barn, and play all the 100-watt amps they have. Then play all the 300-watt amps. Then decide what you want. Then blackmail someone (pictures with chickens work best) to get the cash.

5. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Alx

If you look around here you will find watts does not equal loudness or sound quality. That being said, add guitarist(s) wattage and double it for starters. It mostly depends on venue and style of music. I have a Hartke 1415 that works fine depending on the gig. Cost me about 300 bux. It's worked well for playing with acoustic music anyway. But not outdoors or with distorted guitars and heavy handed drummers.

Remember twice the watts does not get you twice the loudness. Listen to amps and try them out with *your* bass before getting you heart set on a particular one. Many of us here are just making brand conscious generalizations.

You need to take what you get here and check out the gear yourself! We can't tell you what YOUR ears will like.

jc

[Edited by Rockinjc on 11-20-2000 at 02:30 PM]

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I played my 1415 with a heavy handed drummer and a guitarist using a 30w amp and it was ok, (just) I agree with JC use your ears. Although I have been the biggest source of opposition to munji's views on wattage I do see where he is coming from.

What matters is what you feel comfortable with, not us.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It's never bugged me, CS. Like I say, it's just my opinion. Most of us say that one should go with what sounds best to himself (grammar patrol). Or her own bad self. Whatever.

Anyway, let me put it like this. You may be able to get by with fewer watts, but you'll be getting by, not getting a big reltney out of the sound you're producing.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's "hisself", Munji.

9. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    It's better to have it and not always need it than to need it and not have it.

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    It's still personal which is the one area we seem to agree on. Still speaking personally I like one small amp and one big one. Now if that Walter Woods bloke made em for 300 bucks, I'd have 2 of 'em.

11. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    CS is right!

One of each at least.
    jc

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Back ON topic. :rolleyes:

Since you have indicated that you want 100 watts, let's look at a few popular 100 watt models.

An Ampeg B100 is around $500, a Peavey TNT 115 is around $500, an SWR Workingman's 12 is around $500.

These are durable, loud amplifiers, each with a different sound.

Used the Ampeg or SWR would be around $350, the Peavey around $300.

There are a lot of other brands that are less than this, like Fender's BXR series, Yorkville, Crate BX100, way too many to mention.

Depending on the quality of sound you want, let's say new between $350 - $600, used between $200 - $400.