Normal Red Whammy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Dec 5, 2001.

1. how does the normal Digitech Whammy hold up on bass. I know their was a bass whammy but they stopped making them and they're a lot harder to find then the red ones. How do these handle the low notes and what really is the difference between it and the bass one?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I don't know about the red one, but the black bass one sounded like absolute CRAP. I ordered mine mail-order, and within 30 minutes packed it right back up and sent it back. To this day, it is the only consumer item I have ever returned. It was total, 100%, pure crap, useless for anything but alien noises.

It tracked poorly, it oscillated, it cut out if I applied too much weight to the pedal, and the dive-to-travel ratio of the pedal was not a constant, level curve, it dove all at once when moving the pedal only a tiny bit, and other parts of the range barely affected it at all.

Make sure you try one of these out at a store first before you buy.
  3. If you want to hear what the Digitech Whammy sounds like on a bass listen to track 3 on Lateralus by Tool.It comes in at about 11 seconds. It sounds good to me.
  4. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    I have had the original red whammy for 3 years.
    It has some sounds that are very usefull for bass.
    It has been a contsant part of my rig since i bought it. untill--it crapped out on me last week.
    one of the switches broke, probably an easy fix.
    It tracks low notes better than my boss OC-2. starts glitching around the low G. Good octave that you can bend from 1 octave down to 1 up, standard whammy sounds, harmonies. etc.
  5. yeah i have been very fond of justins use of the whammy for a while now... but is that a bass whammy or the red one... im prettty sure its the bass one...
  6. Its neither. He said in an interview in Bass Player magazine that its one of the knobs on his Wal bass.
  7. Yeah, I have that bass player mag. I thought he used the tone control later on or in a different song. It has the digitech Whammy listed as one of his effects he must use it somewhere. I think he might use it at the beginning of Third Eye on Aenima...
  8. I am pretty sure that he uses it in Schism towards the end...
  9. Check out the Eulogy I think he uses it in that song near the beginning 2 or 3 minutes
  10. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Lateralus, Title Track (#9).... at 7:22 the bass whammy comes in. Awesome riff.

Lateralus, Dispostion (#10) theres a whole lot of whammy on that one.

How come the Digitech Bass Whammy is so elusive? Even on Digitech's website, theres only one mention of it I've been able to find, and it was a dead end...

I want one, dammit!
  11. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Southborough, MA
    Reed Mathis of Jacob Fred Jazz Odysee uses the bass whammy on almost all of his solos and with pretty good results. He also uses the snarling dogs bass wah, which i've heard is crap. He makes it sound good, though. Check out some mp3s at
    :) :D ;) :rolleyes: