1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Norman Watt-Roy Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JaydeePlayer, Oct 13, 2009.

1. JaydeePlayer

JaydeePlayer

Sep 30, 2009
    Went to see the Wilko Johnosn band at the Standard in Walthamstow last friday, really to see one of my heroes, Norman. Haven't been to a Wilko gig for quite a while now but it was even better than I was expecting - and from previous experience I was looking foraward to a treat.

For £12 I saw a man at one with his bass, with no inhibition on his bodily actions as each harmonic, chord, fill and riff was expressed not only musically but physically by his body. His long fingers never ceasing throughout the evening and following the whims of his musical mind.

He has partnered Wilko for many years now (I remember going to watch Wilko more than 20 years ago and being very pleasantly surprised by the choice of bass player) and they know each others nuances. Wilko allows him complete freedom. Norman also does a great jazz solo, which gets more extreme as it goes on.

This is brilliant stuff and, if you're in the UK I recommend you get yourself down to a Wilko gig, not only to see the legend himself but, for me the even more legendary bass player who steals to the show.

Its like a huge, craggy meat pie with the best meat and special ingredients. Not restaurant finesse but good and wholesome and of the best possible quality. I hope they never stop.

Greg

2. I'm a big fan - he got me into the funk back in the day through "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick"..

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I saw ID and the Blockhead back in the hayday in the late 70s and they were truly awesome!

Recently I picked up the remastered and extended edition of the second Blockheads album Do it Yourself - which has load of extra tracks and live recordings etc.

But the bass sounds fantastic on all of the album - even when it's not such a good song - the bass is always great! Inventive, wonderful tone and so rhythmic!

Listen on good headphones and Norman's bass is so clear! :)

4. JaydeePlayer

JaydeePlayer

Sep 30, 2009
    Well, if Wilko plays anywhere near any of you its well worth the trip, even if Wilko may not be your kind of thing (I love it!) your get to see a man at one with his bass.

http://www.myspace.com/wilkojohnson

They're getting on now, but I hope they never stop.

Greg

5. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    NWR is the man! I've seen him twice in recent years with The Blockheads and he has never failed to impress (or failed to soak his suit through with sweat!). And those who have met him say that he is the nicest guy too.

Norman.

6. BassBod

BassBod

Aug 18, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    He is the Geezer....no doubt

7. He's the world's funkiest man, without a doubt. I met him after a gig once, and he's a really nice bloke too.

What I like about his playing is that despite having awesome technique, his playing always remains within the context of the tune, and never strays off into the realms of Wooton-esque pointless widdlyness. A lesson an awful lot of players seem unable to learn.

Groove on Norman!

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That's probably due to doing a lot of sessions!!