1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Norman Watt Roy

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by speigel, Mar 24, 2006.

1. speigel

speigel

Aug 5, 2005
    Somerset, UK
    of Ian Dury and the Blockheads. What an incredible underated bass player. arrghh I'm trying to remember that one particular song with the fab bass intro....what was it called...Help!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Hit me with your rhythm stick...?

That's my favourite bass line of his! :)

3. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hit Me With Your Rythym Stick is a great line and Norman Watt Roy payed a ton of cool lines with the Blockheads. It's good to see him mentioned here. Really solid player!! Bassplayer mag printed out the rythym stick line in an issue in the Unhearalded Player section a few years back.

4. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    Norman Watt-Roy is a very under-rated player. Have seen him a couple of times with Wilko Johnson (ex-Dr. Feelgood guitarist), and he is still a solid, blinding bassist (last time I saw him he was using a Tokai Jazz (remember those?).

If you ever get the chance, go out & see Wilko's trio - you are guaranteed a great (but raucous) good night out :hyper:

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What's scary to me?
    Watty-Roy had the Jaco groove/vibe down way back in the mid-'70s.

6. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Anybody heard of The Greatest Show On Earth? Norman played in that band in the early seventies (his brother Garth was also in). Haven't heard it myself but it was supposed to be some kind of jazzrock like If, Blood Sweat And Tears and all those kind of brass bands.

7. jonsmith

jonsmith

Dec 24, 2005
    London, UK
    Some great basslines on the Blockheads stuff. He did a bit of work for The Clash as well (at the start of the Sandinista recordings).

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Norman has long been one of my favourites!

Ian Dury (RIP) and the Blockheads were basically all jazzers who got involved in the punk scene.

I remember an interview with Norman in 'Bassist' a few years where he recalled how some of the band had been to see Weather Report not long before the recording of '...Rhythm Stick.'

He and drummer Charlie Charles did a lot of session work with Trevor Horn and samples of their playing make up Frankie Goes To Hollywood's 'Two Tribes' and 'Relax'.

Off the top of my head, some of my favourite Watt-Roy lines are 'In-Betweenies', 'Spasticus Autisticus', 'Wake Up and Make Love...', 'Reasons To Be Cheerful...'