1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Normandy Aluminum Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by caeman, Dec 7, 2011.

1. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    While at Guitar Center tonight, I noticed an odd looking bass up on the wall...

[​IMG]

A Normandy aluminum hollow body powder-coated in Schoolbus Yellow. I had not heard of these basses, let alone played one. I tried it through an available Ampeg 50w 1x12. Despite being hollow, it was still kinda heavy due to the aluminum. I tried a combo of either or both pickups. Overall, it had a nice sound given that was up on the instrument wall and was in dire need of a proper setup.

Being aluminum, I suppose this would be the perfect bass for resisting any weather condition, bar gigs that involved chicken wire or for fending on a viking hoard.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    There's a Normandy in the classifieds here.

3. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    I didn't realize you were from around these parts. I've played bass at that GC and was fairly underwhelmed personally.

4. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Fanboi .
    :D

5. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I am briefly visiting the area, and felt the need to patron a music store of some sort.

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Aluminum is more sensitive to temperature changes than wood, just not to humidity.

7. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    Way over priced for what they are. I live close to where they are located and have played quite a few of them. They are nice but they are about $1000 off the mark IMHO. I don't think they are price Gouging. I'm sure they aren't cheap to make and they do play sound pretty good. But a Rick they are not. Ironically, I felt they were a bit "artificial" feeling. that is just me. I'm sure a lot of people would love them.