Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Norstrand Dual coils - pres to match

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lamarjones, Oct 11, 2005.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey fellas. I have played a couple of basses with the Nordstrand dual coils. Let me say that I do like the pups best when its passive, I think the sound you get from parallel and coil tap modes just flat out rock.

Now, in a bass I had it was paired up with an aguilar obp3, and it was ok, but got real boomy when you really tweaked out from flat. Played some basses with the east preamp, and I still feel that nearer to flat was where it shined. Granted, in both setups there are a lot of variations you can get that sound real nice, still thought the passive was best.

So......you guys tried these pups with any other preamp? Bart 3 band? Sadowsky? Any experience you have would be great, and for the record I know many peeps are happy with the two setups I stated in the 2nd paragraph. I think its not bad, but I am wondering if there realy is a magical fit for it that I just need to try.

2. how good is that? that the pickups sound best set flat...

not having to rely on tone shaping to get the sound is a HUGE plus...

believe it or not...my wishbass is like that...a passive KA soapbar (modded with a series/parallel switch)...no tone control...just a volume...and it sounds AWESOME.

The other basses I have (2 passive, one active) require a bit of tone tweaking....

my suggestion to you, if these things sound so good flat is to take out your tone controls, install a gain-only buffer circuit in (to drive your cable) and rock out in the simplicity of it all...

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    the thought had occurred to me ;)

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I think Carey is working on his own preamp-supposed to be very transparent, if I remember correctly.

I would check with Carey on that, or I'll bet Jay at Blueberry hill bass would know.

They are great guys, and could explain it better than I could.

5. I've built my own gain-only pre-amp for about $10 AU in parts that is about as transparent as they come. I use it on my Passive PJ. I have it mounted in a little project box and velcroed to my strap...I then use a 2' patch cable from my bass to the box and then use it to drive my long cable to the amp. I have it hard set (through a trim pot) to about 6dB (4x) gain.

I've found that this little extra boost helps me get the signal cleanly to my amplifier where I do 90% of my tone shaping. But other than the volume boost...it sounds EXACTLY like the passive instrument

I also have a true-bypass switch on it that I can use in case of battery or component failure mid-song.

I find it interesting that the goal now for preamp manufacturers is to offer a "transparent" design. I'm all for it. But, it's funny because we're not talking rocket science to design a flat-response amplifier.