Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Norstrand Fralin or Barts for slap..??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by piper2614, Jun 26, 2005.

1. piper2614

piper2614

Nov 17, 2004
    Happy Bottom
    hey now,

again sorry for the ignorance ..im still digging around and wanted a few opinions. i see alot fo reviews and comments about the vintage sound but not much on funk/slap. im looking for a set of j's that hold the vintage but have a really nice high end slap . i'm leaning more towards the fralins but have recently seen alot of good stuff on nordstrand. again not much on the slap aspect.opinions please :D

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have a 2000 MIA jazz bass with Fralins in it, it's ash with a maple neck. This is my staple jazz, my go to bass when I'm not sure about the room. The Fralins while being a vintage sounding pup sounds excellent for thump and pop, You must remember that style of playing started in the late 60's by Larry Graham using a Passive jazz bass! Larry brought that style into the 70's where it took off. The Fralin pups re-create that vintage sound clearly. I hear great things about the Nord's but have never heard them up close and personnal.

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have Nord NJ4SEs on my Jazz (coupled with a J-Retro) and can get great slap tones, even better than my SR4, which was my favourite bass for slapping before I got the Nordies on my Jazz. It works particularly well with a slight EQ dip in the high mids and a HF boost some way above that (I use the sweepable mid and the pull bright switch on the J-Retro for this).

4. kung funkei

kung funkei

Jun 6, 2005
    just wondering.., are fralin and nordstrands (NJ) active or passive pickups?

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Passive.

6. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Nordstrand dual coils would be my suggestion for a good slap tone.