1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Norstrand pickup experts - a question for you!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 18, 2009.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have an Ibanez BTB510E which has the same USA made Bartolini pickups and NTMB like preamp that is in their Prestige BTB line. The sound is thick and growly, thick in the mids. It's a good sound but not the sound I'm really looking for. I prefer a smooth deep sound like a Jazz bass, but I really like this bass in everything but sound.

I'm thinking about replacing the preamp with an Audere Classic 4-Band and Norstrand Big Splits. Would this give me a Jazz Bass type sound or would it still be thick and growly or smooth and deep?

Thanks!

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Why not change one piece at a time and see what difference it makes?

Changing the pickups will probably have the bigest impact and you might find that you don't need to change the preamp.

As to the Big Splits; I haven't tried those but the Nordstrand pickups I have tried (nj5fs, DC5) have been great.

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    It does make sense to change the pickups first. I also want to change the preamp because the Audere gives me two mid controls, active blending, active volume, and it's more transparent than the Bartolini NTMB I've got in there now.

4. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    The combo will certainly improve the sound of your bass but if you want a JB sound then you gotta make sure the pickups placement is the same as is on J Basses.

It's really important 'cause the position has a major impact on sound.

If you move a single inch left or right the sound will change a lot.

2 cents

5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    It's not the same as the 60's jazz, but I think it might be close to the 70's jazz. Here are pics of my bass:

BTB2.
    BTB3.

So you can see that the bridge pickup is pretty close to the bridge. Do you still think changing the pickups will change the sound? I want deeper and smoother than what I've got now. The sound I've got now is bassy, growly, and thick in the mids with subdued highs. I'd rather have clearer and wider and smoother.

I know it's not going to sound just like a Jazz, but should it be a different sound, shouldn't it?

6. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Indeed the placement looks like a 70's J. It's hard to tell but seems to be close at least.

Audere has a very transparent sound. It won't change the sound of your bass unless you start to mess with EQ or Z modes. It is capable of huge earth shaking lows and glass breaking highs.

Big Splits are nice and are made to sound like a JB only BIGGER.

They sound HUUUGE!

Also you gotta make sure if the string spacing will match your bass. According to the Nordstrand web site:

"These pickups will fit as replacements for Bartolini™ P2 (5 string) and BC (4 string) pickups. Dimensions are 4.25" by 1.25" and 3.95" by 1.25" respectively. Standard spacing is 19mm ctc at the bridge."

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    How would I measure the string spacing on my bass?

8. If those Barts are dual-coil humbuckers, which I believe they are, switching to Big Splits(or Big Singles or Fat Stacks) will make a world of difference. The Splits/Singles/Stacks detect string motion in fundamentally the same manner as a single coil pickup, with a larger magnetic footprint(and larger coil). I have Fat Stacks in 60's J positions in a project bass and the sound is very J bass in nature.

9. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Use rule, I guess.

Your bass has individual bridges for each string so maybe that's the reason for using Bartolini pus as they use magnetic blades instead of pole pieces.

I can't tell from the picture but you should really make sure string spacing is ok before you shell out some money.

Give Carey a call, I'm sure he would be very helpful.