Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

North American Auto Show

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by malthumb, Jan 8, 2006.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The North American International Auto Show is kicking into gear, starting with media & industry events from now through Friday. One of the "noteworthy" events......

Travis Barker (Blink 182 drummer) performed for some of the media during the Cadillac unveiling of the 2007 Escalade. Cadillac gave Barker the 1st production unit. Must be nice.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll get a chance to go Wednesday or Thursday during some of the industry day stuff. Maybe I'll post some of the more interesting pictures.

Peace,

James

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Eye candy for Mike N

[​IMG]

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Is that a Camaro???

-Mike

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    yep

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    SUH-WEET!!

Let me guess......that photo was from outside your garage, and you've been test driving it around town for a few weeks. :D

-Mike

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Loving the "throwback! :bassist: Here's the Dodge Challenger.

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    That grid reminds me of a BMW

8. Well I gotta say, they did right (so far) by the new Camaro...too bad they completely lobotomized the Impala into a Camry v2.0...hot motor or not.

9. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I'll probably be there at one point or another. Skipping the industry stuff this year because I'm not working my co-op at TRW this semester. My dad works for ford, and is working at their display this year. I'm definitely looking forward to it this year/

10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    UAW workers from Flint are down in Detroit protesting the auto show. "Stop Corporate Greed" they say. I agree with that. Detroit and Flint are two of the worst cities in this country, so it's kind of ironic.

Cadillacs are sure going downhill. The new designs are terrible and now they are having Travis Barkey advertise for them? Couldn't just get an Italian Mobster to do that, just like the olden days?

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    There was a thread about this over the summer and it got closed. Long story short, there's a reason why domestic autos cost so much. You should look into why, but not on TB

I agree. GM can't make a good looking car to give away, but they're doing better with the Camaro concept.

Hey! Is that a Hyundai?

[​IMG]

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Insert drool smiley here.........

Any specs on that car yet, James? Price, drivetrain layout, engine size, etc....?

Need someone to do some 1/4 mile testing? :D

13. I think most everybody else that monitors these things would disagree. Hate the new designs? That's OK, but sales figures are up and the company is finally starting to design cars that appeal to a buyer that might also be considering European.

Mike

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's true. If you put the Fatty Caddies from oh, say, five years ago up next to a BMW or other high end sedan like a Lexus or Inifinti, you would have seen a flabby, bland, under-styled old man. The new Caddies have personality, pizzaz, and some get up and go. They're not world-beaters just yet, but they're looking like better and better alternatives to the other high-end sedans on the market.

Also, they can be race cars. :D

[​IMG]

15. [​IMG]

This is what I'm looking forward to.
    2007 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ. This is being put into production this year!!!

I had a 78' FJ40 and loved it. I think this one is pretty cool and kept the old grill to boot!

16. For the right amount of cash, a California firm will build you the old style with new running gear, air bags, etc.

Mike

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The showcar is RWD with a 6.0L V8 and 6 speed auto "borrowed" from Corvette. In the Corvette it lays out a bit over 400 horses. IF it were to go into production, it would likely have a base V6 configuration.

Line forms behind me, buddy. Waaaaay behind me.

Peace,

James

18. I've seen one simular to one of those. (no airbags) It was sweet, but fetched a price around $50,000. :crying:

19. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

They used to make them here in boisbriand. Too bad they put that building down. They could have reopened it.

Any chance you might come in montreal for the auto show james?

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Although it is unlikely that I will travel to Montreal for the show, it is more than likely that I'll be making a return trip to Montreal this summer or next. Had a blast the last (and only) time that I was there.

Peace,

James