North East Bass Builders??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuperStar, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Looking to get a highend 6 string fretted or fretless but I got to get my hands on one before I drop the dough. I'm in Southern Ontario(think Toronto) and F bass is right down the street from me. What other builders are out this way in the north east(a days drive from Toronto)? Any info and opinions are welcome.
  2. Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    There's always Pierre Laporte in Montréal. He's known as the best luthier in town. I have one of he's 6 strings and I'm having a 7 made. His build time is realtively long, about 1 to 2 years.

there's Vadim on the Luthier access group

Stambaugh and FBB bass aren't very far either. it's your call.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Karl Hoyt is in Cape that too far away?
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, you're not that far from new york city ;) . isn't michael tobias up in woodstock?
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mike T, Harvey Citron and Stuart Spector are in the same neck of the woods. Also, Chris Stambaugh is in New hampshire. Highly recommended.

6. He is?!? I live on the cape and did not know there were any luthiers running around. Do you know where he is located or does he have a website?
  7. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    JAF basses is in Nova Scotia(probably spelt that wrong).
  8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Jack Read is in the north east, Massachusetts I believe. Check out his website He was great to work with, even though I didn't keep his product. Great workmanship.
  9. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Fodera's here in Brooklyn I believe but I haven't ever ordered a Fodera but they might do a custom job for you *shrug*
  10. My friend, you are standing in the garden of eden, and trying to import apples. Whatever you decide on, you can't go wrong comparing it to a fretless F-bass