Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

North Sea Jazz

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by bassbloke, Jul 17, 2002.

1. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Just returned from the North Sea Jazz festival where I heard some masterclasses in great bass playing. Bob Hurst, Dave Holland, George Mraz. Percy Heath still playing great bass in the latter half of his seventies and looking like he was having the time of his life. Other highlights were the new generation represented by Christian MacBride with the Wayne Shorter Quartet - just awesome in the amount of authority he brings to the bassists role - and Charnett Moffet with Mcoy Tyner and Bobby Hutcherson. I'm sure Moffet can be (and do doubt is) accused of virtuosity for its own sake but his technique is awesome and his solos were musical and entertaining if not necessarily subtle or deep.

There was also much evidence of the affection in which Ray Brown was held by the jazz community.

2. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Ed I know JP was on the WSQ album (also on Herbie/Brecker/Hargrove who also appeared) but he did not play with either act at the festival. I've no idea why. He wasn't programmed to appear with either act so I don't think there was any surprise. JP did appear elsewhere but the festival is so huge you can't catch everything and I didn't see him play. (I also missed NHOP and a who's who of stellar electic players including Jimmy Haslip, Vic Wooten, Stanley Clarke. I caught about 15 minutes of Marcus Miller and that was the only electric bass I heard).

Percy was appearing with the Heath Brothers. Jeb Patton was playing piano and as you say he was incredible. Great good-humoured show as well and Jeb given plenty of the spotlight despite not being a bona fide Heath.