1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Northeast Blizzardmageddon 2015

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gorn, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    First off, if you live in Canada or North Dakota and the two or three feet we're supposed to get here in New York is an average winter day for you, I understand. You are all indestructible snow warriors and I acknowledge that.

Anyway, yeah it's snowing. It's gonna snow a lot more. Supposed to be about two feet if not more by tomorrow here in NYC. A couple of inches so far. The real fun starts tonight. It apparently might be the worst blizzard in decades. I'm stocked up with three six packs of Hoegaarden, three New York strips, half a pizza, salsa and tortilla chips, ice cream, and some apples. It's the most food I've had in my fridge in years.

2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

There was a good one in the early 1980s, as I recall. New York got good and quiet for a short time.

3. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Good thing you're stocked up :D.

Seriously, though, I hope Northeast TBers stay safe through this.

Chicago is not scheduled to get hit by this, even though we usually end up with similar weather before or after you. Light but steady snow right now, supposed to taper off tonight.

Bob Lee (QSC), dabaumtravis and Dug2 like this.
  4. Stay safe and bundle up.
    BTW....it is 77 degrees in LA today but we might get a little rain later this afternoon.:thumbsup:

elgecko likes this.
  5. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    Here in ct we are going to get hit by the blizzard I have my flashlights and candles ready for power out. Some deep fried pork chops tonight, chocolate cake, cheap chuck steaks tomorrow (il trade for your ny strips). I got some O'Douls amber going (I don't drink but still like a cold beer).

If power goes out I got extra blankets I have small kids so a fort of blankets will be constructed. Plenty of peanut butter, tuna, and i am contemplating cooking some meals sort of egg or potato salad so if we lose power we can just take it out the fridge and eat it cold.

Everyone be careful stock up and be prepared. Make sure you have some gallons of water, medicine (colds like to strike when your snowed in and can't go the store, lights, candles, blankets, or better yet if you have a generator your set.

6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    It's 45 and sunny here in Minnesota. Just went for a ride on my motorcycle.

Geddyfleaharris, T_Bone_TL and Dug2 like this.
  7. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    Picked up 2 12 packs of Sierra Nevada pale ale yesterday. Work is already cancelled for tommorrow (coastal NH).

Winter is Coming

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    My job is being a douche about tomorrow. They won't say we're closed just yet even though it's obvious. Regardless, only plows and emergency vehicles are apparently allowed on the road tomorrow anyway so I'm not going anywhere.

9. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    It could be worse, Gorn. You could have MY job and be stuck in Manhattan during this nonsense. Essential personnel, my eye! I miss the days of taking a snow day.

Upside? I bought a pint of Bulleit bourbon to tide me over in my hotel room during the snowpocalyse.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You live in Jersey and are expected at work in the city tomorrow? I don't see how that's supposed to happen.

11. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Nov 25, 2013
    Will the snowplows in New York City "miss" cleaning the swanky neighborhoods again?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    if it carries a date to differentiate it from a previous blizzardmageddon pr snowpocalypse it can hardly be a world ending event.

13. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Work closed tomorrow - check
    Snow Blower fueled & tested - check
    RWD V8 vehicles(sport trucks) safely stashed in driveway - check

14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    the good news is that it will melt eventually. Be safe out there

15. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    It's brutal! I had to wear socks today!

Stewie26 likes this.
  16. Dug2

Dug2

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    right on man, stay home and practice your music. be safe

17. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Easy now! Don't be cryin' the next time wildfire season comes around there.:D

Stewie26 likes this.
  18. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Taxachusetts has closed the roads statewide for tomorrow. The last time they did this (23 and a half months ago, roughly) there wasn't even 1/4 inch in the northwest part of the state, and it never got more than 6 - the state government is SO boston-centric it's sickening. If NWS is not inflating their numbers this time we might actually get 16; which really isn't that big a deal here. Everything west of the Connecticut river should secede, they don't even know it exists.

You coastal citified types will be catching more and have less ability to get rid of it efficiently, so it will surely throw a monkey wrench in your operations, but the hysteria is way out of hand...No point getting anywhere near the TV - every darn flurry is snomageddon to those fools, so an actual snowstorm is beyond their ability to articulate.

No ice called for, so really not much to worry about. Relax, dig out, don't go giving yourself a heart attack.

19. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I parked my old Datsun 510 on West End Ave on NYC's Upper West Side many years ago. In the morning, it was covered and completely plowed in; didn't see that car for five weeks. I did know which mound was mine though.
    Gotta love alternate side of the street parking suspensions.

20. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    annnnnnnd, here we go. The snow just changed here in Monmouth County, NJ. It's not coming down hard(yet), but the type/size has changed.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021