1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Northern VA bass teacher?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Dec 1, 2005.

1. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I actually see quite a few Northern VA folks on here--pretty cool. But which one of you solely teaches bass and can assist me reaching a new level. I am not theory trained.

I could use a real teacher who provides me with lesson plans that are proven to work for those with enthusiasm about keeping the lowdown going.

I notice I have troubles during improv jam moments, where I lose my timing or I lose the guitar---this could be for various reasons--but I just want a better understanding of what sounds good with what.

Thanks

2. groove100

groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    VA.
    Hi my name is Markus Huber,
    I live in Fairfax. I teach E. bass. but unfortunately Im moving out of state by next year. I can recommend someone who is a really good bass teacher. (he was my teacher for 2 years)
    I can give you his email address if you want. He has a home studio in route 1 somewhere in alexandria near ft belvoir.

3. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Ft. Belvior might me a distance...not sure. I live in Winchester, work in Loudoun County.

I would consider driving it though if he was a good fit. Ask him if he has room...and thank you so much.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    try calling up Jive1 @ www.jivesound.com

he knows PLENTY of gents, and can recommend a few peeps.

5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    If you can, get a hold of Scott Harlan. He is a fantastic musician and an excellent instructor. He has a great web site with his contact information.
    I studied with him for about a year before I was required to move to Texas. Highly recommended!

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I was just about to make the same recommendation! Scott is a fantastic player, brilliant guy, and great person. I have known him for years, lost touch with him a bit recently, but he's a truly gifted teacher.

His CD's are pretty damned amazing too, highly recommended as well!

7. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I wonder if I met Scott Harlan at an open mic. If it was the same guy, he was booked.