Northerners! How do you take care of your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I moved up north recently. I believe the heater turning on and off in my house is screwing with my set up. it may be someting else but it wasn't a problem down south. It seems like the neck moves out of place every two days.

anyone have this problem?

it's a pain in the arse taking off the pick guard and adjusting the neck every other day. i'm thinking about jaco-izing my tabacco burst fender so i won't have totake the pickguard off everytime.

what do you do? just fill the holes in with wood putty? what about around the pick-up?

2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have had no problems with temperature changes an my basses. Well, that might be because Two of them are dual truss rod, one has a multilaminate neck, and the SX is a tank. But you usually shouldn't have a problem unless you keep your basses in a a multitemperate area. Just keep your basses in the case, or in a room temperature area, and you won't experience any problems. Remember that basses, like people, need time to adapt to that stuff. A setup would be good, but you shouldn't have to fiddle too much after that.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My basses are in my room, which is the basement. The temperature changes down here a little but not a lot. I notice some seasonal adjustments are necesary, but not every other day or anything.
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Seasonal adjustments are a must! Sometimes if it gets too warm in my house and a bass is out on a stand for a day or two I will have to take some relief out, but when the bass gets cold again I will have to put it back! Yeah here in the north where it gets cold we do adjust more, not to mention those freezing cold days when the bass comes out the car and you gotta play right away, we are talkin buzz city!
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Suggestion: get a cheapo pickguard and slice out where you need to to uncover the trussrod?

Also, I'm from PA, my in house temp would daily range between 67 and 71 degrees, humidity changed a lot etc. etc., and I only had to do a tweak once about every 4 months. Maybe your bass just doesn't like the cold :p

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have a bass with a relatively thin neck, and yes, with seasonal changes I will sometimes need to tweak the neck relief - sometimes once or twice a week when the weather changes are coming fast & furious...

During the coldest, driest months it will be a good idea to make sure your room, apartment or house maintains at least a moderate degree of humidity. Use a humidifer, keep pans of water out - whatever you need to do...

As to maintenance issues - something about which you didn't ask, but which are nevertheless important - make sure to use a good fretboard conditioner or lemon oil on your uncoated fretboard/fingerboard. Otherwise the board may begin to dry out, and in a worse-case scenario, actually develop cracks & loose frets. Once every month or two should be sufficient. Just keep an eye on it and use common sense...

7. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    My bass is okay with it. it gets out of tune easier and I only had to made one little. adjustment to the tuss rod.
  8. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Every fall and spring I make sure to do a thorough set up. Summer here usually averages around 25 celsius (75-80 Farenheight?). Winter from -10 to -30 celsius. The humidity also swings around alot.
  9. my set up hasnt changed really... but i think i have a fret or two that lifted with the humiditychanges
  10. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Your problem is due to lack of humidity. When you turn on your heat in the winter it drys out the air in your house. You can fix it for a buck. Go to Wal-Mart or some such place and buy a plastic soap dish and a sponge. Drill a couple of holes in the soap dish. Dampen the sponge, squeeze most of the water out so it doesn't drip. Place the damp sponge in the soap dish, put it and the bass in its case, and your all set. Yes, you should keep the bass in its case when you are not playing it, for a lot of reasons. Or you can go to a guitar store and buy a humidifier for $12 or more.
  11. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Your basses would love you if you bought a humidifier!

12. Yes..i must buy one constantly adjusting my at the point where im almost ready to give up on wood necks entirely and thinking about trying a Zon and see how they last in the extreme weather conditions up here. :meh:
  13. b3zsgirl

Jun 16, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I recommend speeding up that move toTexas ;)

I need a humidifyer in the winter down here before my basses do.
  14. Like beadgc I live in NY, unlike him my basses live in their cases.
    I agree with all of his suggestions, and if all else fails, equip all the bolt-on basses with graphite necks that have phenolic fingerboards. Very, very easy to deal with.
  15. Believe it or not I have never had a problem with my basses with temp change. From going from +30c to -30c...(thats hot, to really really cold) I have never had a problem. Keep them cased when not in use, and let them warm up before playing them if it's winter. A humidifier is always a good idea though.
  16. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yes, invest in a nice humidifer. One that you only have fill once a day or every other day. Leave it running all the time in the room and keep the door shut. It's not so much the temperature itself, its the fact that the heater sucks moisture out of the air and the fact there is less moisture in the air generally when it is colder.
  17. kroth

Apr 6, 2003
    My basses are usually good , only needing minor tweaks once or twice a year. I will raise or lower the bridge saddles to compensate, rather than messing with the truss rod. I kinda like a medium action anyhow, so I can dig in and not fret out, so unless something is WAY off, I try nor to mess around too much. I miss my Modulus.
  18. That's why I put off my truss road cover from my bass once I bought.
    But unless it's rain outside 3-days or something, it would be OK.
    I carry my bass to school 4 days of week so if there is heavy rain I can hear some buzzing at school..
    Also in house, whenever turn on heater I turn on humidifier.
    That is the way of love my basses.. :smug:
  19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    A local guitar tech routed out a small channel in my Fender-style basses, and painted them black. I think I've seen a similar rout in Sadowsky's basses. I can easily slide a screwdriver in and make adjustments when necessary.

I live in the Rockies, so my basses are subjected to all four seasons. Every wooden-necked bass I own needs a truss rod adjustment done in the winter and in the summer.
  20. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    This time every year (November) my truss rods always have to be adjusted. Colder, wintery weather straightens out the necks, making the action too low/buzzy. Opposite happens in April/May, when it warms up outside, humidity rises, and my necks bow more, the action raising itself. Its just a fact of life with a wood-necked instrument.

When I owned a Modulus Q6 with graphite neck, I never had ANY of these issues, but unfortunately I don't care for the feel of a graphite neck.