1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Northwest Bass Day

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by benjonesonbass, Apr 21, 2009.

1. benjonesonbass

benjonesonbass

Jan 23, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Endorsing Artist: Carvin Basses, TC Electronic Amps/ Cabinets, Dunlop Strings, GruvGear Accessories, 1964 Ears In Ear Monitors, LM Products straps
    ok...so i had this crazy idea. as we here in the pacific northwest (wa, or, id, etc) have a good number of very talented luthiers/manufacturers (bee basses, benevente, minnieweather, audere preamps, mike lull, david king, etc.), i thought it would be a great idea to feature them in a 'bass day' type format here in the northwest somewhere. the motivation behind this is that these people are some SERIOUSLY talented builders and, other than seeking them out somehow, you would never have the opportunity to try out or just see in person any of the fine offerings they have as they aren't available in any 'guitar centers' or other music stores and only a select few people (in the grand scheme of things) ever get to attend a 'namm show' type event.

this would open up a whole new 'in their backyard' market who are going way outside their areas to have other luthiers build for them only because they were totally un-aware that these builders were in their own hometown.

if you are in the pacific northwest or have any ties to any manufacturers in or around the northwest and think this would be a good idea, please hit me up and let me know. if you, on the flipside, think this is a crazy idea, hit me up and let me know that too.

thanks and i look forward to your thoughts.

2. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    A couple of years ago, I attended a day event at, I think, Clackamas Community College that featured local and national luthiers, there were dozens of builders of both basses and other string instruments, as well as luthiers actually building binstruments at the show! There were a number of guitars, basses and other instruments for sale as well as tools for the aspiring luthier. Nice event, and if I remember right they actually had courses at the college for luthery. I'd love to see a bigger exposition like this! Beat the snot out of a trip to GC.

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    You'd definitely want to invite Mike Kinal, who is probably the best bass maker up here in Vancouver, BC. Radial (DI boxes and Bass bone ) engineering is in Burnaby, but I don't know if they would get involved. The guys at Roland are great too, and would probably be into exhibiting if you have a solid plan.

L

4. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Somewhat related...

If you appreciate fine hand-built instruments, this coming weekend at Marylhurst University there is the 32nd annual handmade instrument show. I'm told it is limited to 60 luthiers/wood suppliers and that last year 50 of them were from the Portland area alone!

In addition to a hall where the builders show their stuff (mostly high-end acoustic stringed instruments), there are ongoing concerts (mostly classical) in the school's chapel/music hall.

All this for $3!

http://www.nwmusicalinstrumentshow.org/

5. ALC

ALC Gold Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I don't have any ties but I would be willing to do some volunteer if you need people to help get this off the ground.