1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Norton Customs ¾ Custom Upright Bass “Black Cherry” NOS

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Brent Norton, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Bass has been sold. Thanks to all who expressed interest.

I hope this is not in violation of the CUP as I am no longer in business. Feel free to remove this post if it is in violation regardless.

For sale is one of the earliest custom upright basses from my now-defunct Norton Customs upright bass company of Detroit. Based on a Samuel Shen SB100 bass, the “Black Cherry” features an eye-catching translucent red to opaque black sunburst finish. This bass can be considered as new old stock as I completed it to order for a family member who never played the bass. The family member has moved out of state and the bass has come back into my possession. The details:

• One-of-a-kind custom instrument and one of only 31 NC customs
    • ¾ size
    • Laminated contruction – maple sides and back with a spruce top
    • Ebony fingerboard
    • Solid maple neck with hand-carved scroll
    • Thin finish to preserve tone
    • Bass currently wears the Pirastro Obligato strings I installed upon completion
    • Ebony-collared steel endpin with Wolf Super Endpin Ball installed
    • Includes basic bag
    • Includes Meisel bass stand

Of the 31 customs I executed, this was approximately #3 or 4, completed in early 2004; I did not serialize or label the customs until #6. The bass retains its original Shen label and serial number.

As all basses settle in over time, it could use some fresh setup adjustments, though is of course playable as-is. The buyer can have his or her preferred luthier perform the work, or I can have it done for the buyer at additional cost.

Please note I will NOT ship this instrument. Local (metro Detroit) pickup only, either by the buyer or an agent or friend of the buyer to ship or deliver elsewhere.

Visit this link for more pics: http://www.nortoncustoms.com/mini_galleries/black_cherry.htm

[​IMG]

2. bad a$$

3. Brent always put together great looking basses. So sorry he isn't doing it anymore. This one might become a collector's item.

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I too am VERY sad that Brent couldn't have kept things going. I honestly think that he was making the best looking AND sounding custom upright basses out there!

5. symcbass

symcbass

Nov 8, 2007
    Scotland
    Good luck with the sale Brent, beautiful bass, I'm still playing on my Norton, still going strong! Greetings as always from Bonny Scotland Brent, hope you're well.

6. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Norton #1 just walked through our doors last week! Personally I loved the Root Beer basses!

Brent...if your ever interested in getting back in the game, give us a call!

7. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Opening this up to serious, reasonable offers. The wife and I are cleaning house, and we've got no room for yet another bass. Contact me (preferable via email through this board) if interested.

Sorry, no trades.

Thanks all.
    -Brent

8. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    OOOh man. My son lives "just down the road" from you in Ann Arbor. I could visit him and sort of get lost and come get this. Yeah that sounds like a plan. I wish I needed a bass. This one is cool. Nice to hear from you again and good luck.

Walt MI/USA

9. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I too, miss your presence...another beautiful bass. Take care buddy...
    Mike

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Brent: nice to see you here, and best of luck;
    alan

11. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Since you won't ship it you limit your chances of selling it. If you will ship it, I'd make an offer today.

12. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Howdy guys - thanks for the well-wishes, and I'm glad to see some familiar 'faces.'

I realize that not shipping limits my chances of selling. However, after the shop closed up, I liquidated everything... Including the tools and supplies needed to ensure safe shipment. After the immense headache of having one of the customs smashed by a forklift in transit a few years ago, I'd rather try my luck locally than risk having anything happen to the instrument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.