1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

norwegian wood? I broke a string tuning!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by benchpress11782, Jun 7, 2007.

1. benchpress11782

benchpress11782 Supporting Member

May 23, 2007
    I was sitting down all ready to read the music to the victor wooten song, tuning to ADGC like it said. till SNAP!

What did I do?

2. GeezerFleaWoote

GeezerFleaWoote

Dec 31, 2006
    i heard that tuning up like that increases the pressure on the neck by 100% or something like that. go get tenor bass strings or a really light gauge. i tried to do the same thing on my old ibanez bass, thank God the strings didn't break.

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Of course. An E string is supposed to be tuned to E. And so on.

For tenor tuning, get tenor strings. For example .080 .060 .040 .028 or something like that for A D G C tuning.

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Victor in general plays light guage string. Then tenor bass is like a 6-string bass without the the E and B strings. You pretty much have to dedicated a bass to being a tenor. Look at the gauges in a set of 6-string bass strings. The ADGC strings will be the gauges you need to use. Otherwise you're headed for future neck problems.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Or you could just transpose the song to EADG wouldn't that be much easier than buying a new bass or changing strings screwing with your setup etc.

6. Kazan

Kazan

Nov 23, 2005
    I am new here so please excuse my ignorance , but wouldn't a capo at the fifth fret give you the correct tuning and string tension

7. yeah, but you would lose five frets.

8. Kazan

Kazan

Nov 23, 2005
    I am new here so please excuse my ignorance , but wouldn't a capo at the fifth fret give you the correct tuning and string tension

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    It's like deja vu.

10. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The answer is already posted above. You can't expect to tune a normal 4 string bass to tenor tuning without some serious damage to your instrument.

I learned this song on my five string (with a high C) and I have tried transposing it down a fourth for a a normal four. It sounds fine both ways, but if you really want it to sound right, get a five or six string bass or make one of your basses a permanent tenor bass.

11. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    It's like deja vu.

12. i feel like im on drugs :rollno:

13. Col200

Col200

Feb 18, 2007
    Why not just buy a 6 string set and use the ADGB strings. They're built for that tension so it shouldn't F' up your neck, correct?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021