Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Norwood Fisher (Forgot in a world of Fieldys)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stingray96191, Nov 3, 2001.

1. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    What HAppened to Peoples taste in Music. I am an avid fan of all types of music, but this nu-metal crap they are feeding us now makes me want to off myself.

I don'y know how many of you realize this but this style of music that everyone seems to love right now was started by, a group of black kids, back in the late 70's.

Fishbone is by far the best band i have ever seen perform live. They have the energy, the songs, the stage presence, and the talent. to outshine any of your nu metal bands, and make then look like a band of 3 year olds in diapers.

A shining star in this group, is founding member, and half of the bands namesake,(John) Norwood Fisher. He has the chops of a real funk god, and the ability to hold hids own in almost any musical situation. He has played with a variety of different musicians, from curtis mayfield, to everlast. But recently i was devistated when fishbone cancelled their concert in Pittsburgh. Had i not gone to Cleveland to see them 2 days prior i would have een really pissed. If nayone here is an avid fishbone fan like myself, please speak out and spread the word.

I would like to note i am not connected with Fishbone in any way.

Erin

2. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    fishbone rocks, ohh yea bonehead in the house.
    fishbone never truly got the credit they deserve
    hopefully one day they will.
    remember back in the day's when the r.h.c.p. use
    to open up for these guy's.
    do you think it's because there nope i wont go there
    i'm just trying to understand why a group with so
    much talent are still struggling.
    norwood slaps a fretless like nobody's business,
    a fretless.bonehead for life.

3. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    At least somebody knows who im talking about.
    I can't believe that fishbone doesn't even have a record label right now.
    Bone head For Life.

Damn Right

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Bone, tha bone, tha, tha, tha, tha, tha, tha, tha, bone!"
    Fishbone is sick!!!! Especially Angelo! We opened for them once, and we're supposed to open for them in 2 weeks.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Anybody remember Rick Skatore?

24-7 SPYZ? Toured with Bad Brains?

6. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wherea re you guys supposed to open for Fishbone. That is an honor i would love to have.

I wish my band could open for the Bone
    Norwood is my hero

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    We're supposed to open for them in Atlanta and a couple of dates in Florida. How Norwood slaps, cleanly mind you, with his Thumb bass that low, is beyond me.

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Fishbone are cool, I´d love to see them live. And, I too don´t understand how he plays with his bass so low..

9. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ive seen them live an umber of times, yet it never seems like enough, and i think i have some insight as to how he slaps so low..

Norwoods arms are freakishly long
    I mean crazy long. Its unbelievable.
    His hands also huge.
    But the real secret to it, as it appears to me is he either slaps really far away from the bridge, over the neck entirely, or really clos eto the bridge. Whatever he is doing, it works for him..
    Like i said. Norwood is my Hero

10. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Norwood is awesome, even on Flea's instructional video he takes time to speak highly of Norwood! First time I heard Norwood was on Jerry Cantrell's solo record "Boggy Depot." Then I started listening to Fishbone! I've never seen a picture of the guy playing. How low does he wear his bass? Lower than Duff Mackagan??

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Norwood is indeed the man :D that string of solos he has on "Bonin' In The Boneyard" give me a rather large hard-on.

12. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    heres apicture of norwood wearing his Bass..

But this is nothing compared to watching him live.

13. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Heres a better picture of Norwood, with Bass.

Thoug he usually plays a thumb, this shows how it hangs a little better.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I hear ya. I don't hate the "nu-metal" like you but I agree that Norwood is a bass genius. I feel lucky that I got to see Fishbone at a UMass spring concert way back in 92 or so. Hope to see them again soon. And yes Angelo is nuts.

15. look at that second pic!...His handspan has gotta be a solid foot! haha

16. bassduder

bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    can you norwood fans tell me some good funky-bass heavy songs to get, id really like to hear his slap and fretless work!

17. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good Funky Norwood Songs.......
    well you hit my Soft Spot.

Lemon Meringue.. Solid Old-skool fung
    Bonin' in the Boneyard... Crazy Funk
    One Planutt People... Fretless Reggae MAsterpiece.
    The List goes on and on...

For more songs, or the Mp3 files you can e mail me or instant message me at eithet Yahoo.co for the mail
    or aol instant messager for direct file transfer. You won't be dissapointed

18. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    He looks like he's got double jointed thumbs!! Like Jaco.

19. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Yeah, seriously, this guy was the one who inspired me to take up bass. Plus, probably why I regard the Warwick sound as my favorite bass sound. I remember hearing some interview where they said they put tiger balm on their balls for a gig where they thought they needed to kick it up a notch. Wow. I really dig how he fits low notes from the B string into tunes.

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    norwood is a great musician. fishbons are underrated and they deseve much more attention. norwood is a nice guy too. i met him for an interview, he was with angelo. angelo is really crazy! i remember that he was around in the hotel completely naked... we went to a radio where they played an unplugged piece, angelo with the sax and norwood with an incredible 5 string ovation bass.then they invited me to dinner we hang out till the morning! really really nice guys. i really like their last record too.